Prince Charles applauds Federer's win at Wimbledon - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Prince Charles applauds Federer's win at Wimbledon

Posted: Updated:
Roger Federer of Switzerland returns a shot to Fabio Fognini of Italy during a second round men's singles match at the All England Lawn Tennis Championships at Wimbledon, England, Wednesday, June 27, 2012. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth) Roger Federer of Switzerland returns a shot to Fabio Fognini of Italy during a second round men's singles match at the All England Lawn Tennis Championships at Wimbledon, England, Wednesday, June 27, 2012. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth)

WIMBLEDON, England (AP) — Roger Federer gave Prince Charles a bow, then gave Fabio Fognini a royal thumping.

With the Prince of Wales visiting Wimbledon for the first time since 1970, Federer was at his best Wednesday and beat Fognini 6-1, 6-3, 6-2.

Six-time champion Federer won 37 of 41 points on his first serve, and won 21 of 23 points at the net against Fognini, an Italian ranked 68th.

Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall sat in the first row of the Royal Box as Federer walked onto Centre Court for the day's first match. Federer and Fognini stood side by side as they bowed awkwardly toward the royals, and Charles responded with a wave and grin.

Charles and Camilla joined the crowd's applause when Federer completed his victory.

Federer hopes to end his 2½-year drought in major tournaments, and he's off to a good start, losing only nine games through two rounds. He seeks to add to his record total of 16 Grand Slam championships, and he could match the record of seven Wimbledon men's titles set by William Renshaw in the 1880s and tied by Pete Sampras in 2000.

The 19-year-old American Sloane Stephens, playing at Wimbledon for the first time, saved five set points in the first set and beat No. 23 Petra Cetkovska 7-6 (6), 4-6, 6-3. Heather Watson became the first British woman to reach the third round since 2002 when she defeated American Jamie Hampton 6-1, 6-4.

Sara Errani needed only seven seconds to complete a rain-interrupted win, and she didn't even have to hit a ball.

Errani led American CoCo Vandeweghe 6-1, 5-3 and held the advantage one point from victory when their match was halted Tuesday evening. They returned to Court 16 some 18 hours later, and when Vandeweghe double-faulted into the net on the first point, Errani had the win.

No. 21-seeded Milos Raonic required only one game to complete a rain-interrupted win over Santiago Giraldo, 6-4, 6-4, 6-4.

No. 13 Dominika Cibulkova lost to Klara Zakopalova 6-4, 6-1.

Australian men once dominated Wimbledon. This year they failed to win a match.

Aussies went 0 for 4, including a loss Tuesday by 2002 champion Lleyton Hewitt. That means no Australian man in the second round, the first time that has happened since 1938.

During a 12-year span from 1960 to 1971, Australians won the Wimbledon men's title 10 times. But in recent years they've experienced a decline similar to the United States, with South Americans, Eastern Europeans and Asians increasingly competitive as tennis becomes more global.

Hewitt's 14th Wimbledon appearance was brief. He needed a wild card to enter the tournament and lost to No. 5-seeded Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (5) 6-3, 6-4, 6-4.

Aussies Bernard Tomic and Matthew Ebden also lost Tuesday.

"The boys didn't have the best day," Hewitt said.

Tomic, who reached the quarterfinals last year as an 18-year-old qualifier, lost to Belgian wild card David Goffin. Ebden was beaten by Benoit Paire. Another Australian, Marinko Matosevic, lost to Xavier Malisse on Monday.

Hewitt said tough draws were partly to blame for the shutout.

"The three guys that played today, I know we could have beat a lot of guys that are still going in the tournament," he said. "That's just how it falls."

Hewitt drew an especially difficult opening opponent. The loss was his first in the first round at Wimbledon since 2003. Despite losing in straight sets, he found little fault with his performance.

"I didn't do a lot wrong really," he said. "Probably as good as I could have done today, really."

Hewitt's victory at Wimbledon was the most recent major title by an Australian man. Now 31, he has been plagued lately by injuries, most recently a foot ailment that required surgery in March 2011. He's just 4-6 in Grand Slam matches since August 2010, and the former No. 1 is ranked 202nd.

He plans to be back at Wimbledon next month playing as a wild card in the Olympics, and hopes to return to Wimbledon in 2013.

"At the moment I've been focusing on getting back this year, doing everything right with my foot and rehab to get back to here," Hewitt said. "I'm proud of myself, of what I've been able to do, all the hard work it has taken to get here. I'd like to be back here, absolutely, but we'll have to wait and see."

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.