November trial date set for man accused of freeway shooting spre - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

November trial date set for man accused of freeway shooting spree

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (CNS) - A Nov. 28 trial date was set today for a man accused of wounding a motorist last fall in a freeway shooting spree that stretched from National City to Del Mar.

He pleaded not guilty Thursday to charges of attempted murder, shooting at an occupied vehicle, discharging a firearm in a grossly negligent manner, hit-and-run and vandalism.

Ayon is also separately charged with battery counts for allegedly assaulting two sheriff's jail deputies.

THIS IS AN UPDATE TO THE PREVIOUS STORY BELOW.

SAN DIEGO (CNS) - A trial date could be set Thursday for a man accused of wounding a motorist last fall in a freeway shooting spree that stretched from National City to Del Mar.

Enrique Ayon, 25, of Lancaster, faces more than 63 years to life in state prison if convicted of attempted murder and other charges, said Deputy District Attorney Chris Moon. He will be asked how he pleads at this afternoon's hearing.

The prosecution alleges that Ayon crashed his Chevrolet Malibu through a security gate near the U.S.-Mexico border on the morning of Oct. 3 before launching a shooting spree on northbound Interstate 805 in National City.

Marcus Eagles testified during a preliminary hearing earlier this month that he was traveling north on Interstate 805 near Plaza Boulevard in National City about 10:15 a.m. last Oct. 3 when the defendant fired a shot at his car. He said the shooter, whom he identified as Ayon, had a "real cold stare" and looked "kind of evil."

Eagles said that when he got out of his car, he saw a bullet hole in the rear driver's side door. He said the bullet went through some luggage and lodged in the rear passenger door.

A short time later, Ayon allegedly fired another shot on the same freeway near Mesa College Drive in Serra Mesa, wounding 26-year-old Demetrous Miller in the upper leg.

Ayon also is accused of firing a round in the area near I-805 and state Route 163. A few minutes later, he allegedly fired two shots into an ambulance on Interstate 5 near Del Mar.

He was taken into custody the following day in Los Angeles County. According to court testimony, a shell casing and gun residue were found in his car. Gun residue was also found on Ayon's hands and a shirt found in the trunk of his vehicle, witnesses testified.

Authorities said none of the victims reported having had any type of contact or communication with the driver of the Malibu before coming under fire, and the motive for the shootings remains unclear.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.