Teenage driver pleads guilty to charges in fatal racing crash on - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Teenage driver pleads guilty to charges in fatal racing crash on state Route 52

Posted: Updated:
  • RelatedMore>>

  • 2 teens killed, 3 injured in crash on SR 52

    2 teens killed, 3 injured in crash on SR 52

    Thursday, April 5 2012 6:38 PM EDT2012-04-05 22:38:28 GMT
    Three high school students were hospitalized Thursday following a rollover crash on State Route 52 that left two teens dead and one in custody, authorities said. 
    Three high school students were hospitalized Thursday following a rollover crash on State Route 52 that left two teens dead and one in custody, authorities said. 

SAN DIEGO (CNS) - A 16-year-old boy who raced another motorist, causing a freeway crash that killed two of his teenage passengers, pleaded guilty in Juvenile Court Monday to charges of gross vehicular manslaughter resulting in death.

The teen faces a maximum of seven years and four months in custody when he is sentenced July 16 by Judge Browder Willis.

The 16-year-old surrendered to authorities April 12 after being notified that an arrest warrant had been issued for him in connection with the accident eight days earlier.

Authorities said the teen and an 18-year-old motorist, Michael S. Johnson, were racing at speeds of up to 100 mph on eastbound state Route 52 when the younger driver lost control of his Volkswagen Passat and crashed, killing 16-year-old Jayli Campbell and 18-year-old Anthony Foreman.

Defense attorney James Dicks said at the 16-year-old's arraignment that his client was not racing, but the accelerator on his car stuck as he tried to pass another vehicle and that he committed no intentional act which led to the deaths and injuries in the case.

Deputy District Attorney Minaz Bhayani countered that an initial inspection of the Passat showed no defect with the accelerator.

The prosecutor told the judge that the 16-year-old was cited for driving 90 mph on state Route 125 in February.

Michael S. Johnson has pleaded not guilty Thursday to charges of gross vehicular manslaughter and other counts. His trial is set for September.

 

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.