VISTA (CNS) - A 73-year-old man with a history of sexually abusing children was sentenced Friday to 240 years to life in state prison.
A jury last month found Ricardo Pedro Borbon, a registered sex offender, guilty of three counts of committing a lewd act on a child for molesting a 9-year-old Escondido girl.
Borbon, who had been convicted of similar crimes in 2000, was sentenced to three consecutive 80-years-to-life terms by Superior Court Judge Runston Maino.
On Aug. 17, 2009, Escondido police were called to an auto shop in the 1000 block of West Mission Avenue, where the girl told police a man had sexually assaulted her, Escondido police Lt. Craig Carter said.
The next day, police received a call from a state parole officer who reported that there was a registered sex offender in the area who had cut off his GPS monitor, Carter said, noting the offender matched the description from the previous day's case.
Borbon was arrested in Mexico on Oct. 6, 2010, by Mexican police at the request of U.S. authorities, Carter said. He was extradited to San Diego last September.
San Diego Fire-Rescue Department officials are increasing staffing levels in anticipation of increased fire activity.
After a fall-like and mild weekend, temperatures are expected to heat up around San Diego throughout the week.
An early morning vegetation and trash fire at a homeless encampment threatened nearby condos and resulted in at least one injury Sunday.
Detoured traffic is unusually light during the closure of all Mexico-bound car traffic at the busiest U.S. border crossing in San Diego.
The city's search for the next top cop is underway as police chief Shelly Zimmerman prepares to step down in March.
More than 200 surfers paddled out for a daunting day-long challenge Saturday inspired by young men in the community facing a far bigger one.
A semi-truck ran over a fire hydrant Saturday afternoon in Grant Hill causing a huge geyser to spray into the air. Luckily, firefighters were just minutes away at a community event and were able to put a stop to the water quickly.
Employees of an Otay Mesa towing company arrived at work Saturday morning to find the body of a coworker under a vehicle
The Golden State Warriors say they will not go to the White House when they visit Washington early next year, announcing the decision hours after President Donald Trump tweeted he was withdrawing the invitation.