SAN DIEGO (CNS) - The longtime chief administrative officer for San Diego County announced Wednesday that he will step down on Dec. 1.
Walt Ekard made the announcement during the afternoon session of the Board of Supervisors meeting.
Ekard said he is not retiring, but will seek other challenges. He has led the county government since 1999, making him the longest-serving person in the position in modern times.
Board Chairman Ron Roberts said Ekard helped make the county one of the best managed local governments in the country.
"It's with a great deal of heartfelt pride that I just want to wish you the very best, the best to your family for whatever you decide to do," Roberts said. "I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities to do things."
Ekard, whose wife and three daughters were in attendance, said he was privileged to have led the county staff.
The chief administrative officer oversees 40 departments, manages around 15,000 employees and implements directives by the supervisors.
No successor was immediately announced, but the board was expected to go into closed session later Wednesday to discuss how to proceed.
A Pacific storm that promises to heavily douse much of Southern California this week will deliver a considerably less dramatic infusion of precipitation in the San Diego area, according to the National Weather Service.
A Mexican woman in the U.S. illegally who was dragged away from her daughters by authorities in a widely viewed video was being released on her own recognizance Tuesday by an immigration judge in Southern California.
After a nearly three-hour public hearing, the City Council voted 8-1 Tuesday to approve a facility that would allow homeless people to store their valuables.
Kevin Towers, the former San Diego Padres player, scout and executive, will be posthumously inducted into the Padres Hall of Fame in a pre-game ceremony on May 12, the team announced Tuesday.
A flamingo that mysteriously appeared in the South Bay last month - like most people - seems to not want to leave San Diego.
Authorities Tuesday released the name of the 27-year- old victim who was fatally injured while playing a "punching game" with an acquaintance in a Gaslamp Quarter sports bar.