SAN DIEGO (CNS) - The U.S. Defense Department announced multi-million dollar contracts for three companies in San Diego County Wednesday.
The largest, worth $104.8 million, is a modification to a previously awarded agreement with National Steel and Shipbuilding to refurbish the dock landing ship USS Comstock. NASSCO workers will inspect, repair and modernize all of the vessel's systems, and are expected to be finished in May next year.
The deal was awarded by Navy's Southwest Region Maintenance Center.
Ostendo Technologies Inc. of Carlsbad was awarded $58.3 million to provide a prototype of a holographic three-dimensional computer workstation by October 2016. The Air Force Research Laboratory in Ohio issued the contract.
General Atomics won a $44.6 million contract from the Naval Air Systems Command in Patuxent River, Md., to research and develop an electromagnetic system to launch planes from aircraft carriers. The contract runs through April 2016.
SAN DIEGO (News 8) - The USO San Diego welcomed back the Navy Band Southwest to its holiday musical extravaganza. They band hasn’t performed for the USO San Diego holiday concert since 2013.
During a rain event the San Diego Department of Environment Health recommends beachgoers to not enter the ocean or bay for 72 hours.
There is a building next to the San Diego airport that for the past decades has created Olympic magic.
U.S. authorities arrested 32 people at a demonstration Monday that was organized by a Quaker group on the border with Mexico, authorities said.
When farmers in Australia claimed their steer "Knickers" was the biggest in the world, an East County rancher gave News 8 a call.
A hairless bear that's called the Fund for Animals Wildlife Center in Ramona home for nearly a year will soon be moved to a new facility.
The newly elected San Diego City Council members from districts 2, 4 and 8, as well as re-elected District 6 City Councilman Chris Cate, were sworn in Monday.
Chef Christophe Rull created a huge display at Park Hyatt Aviara Resort - and was recently featured on Holiday Wars.
The U.S. this week will begin withdrawing many of the active duty troops sent to the border with Mexico by President Donald Trump just before the midterm election in response to a caravan of Central American migrants, U.S. officials said Monday.