Motorist who raced teenage driver on freeway, resulting in deadl - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Motorist who raced teenage driver on freeway, resulting in deadly crash, sentenced to 180 days in jail

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (CNS) - A 19-year-old motorist who raced a younger driver on state Route 52, resulting in a crash that killed two people, was formally sentenced Wednesday to 180 days in county jail.

Michael S. Johnson pleaded guilty to a felony charge of engaging in a speed contest in connection with the April 4 crash that took the lives of 16-year-old Jayli Campbell and 18-year-old Anthony Foreman.

Johnson, who began serving his predetermined sentence last month, was also placed on three years probation to include random drug testing and volunteer work with Mothers Against Drunk Driving or another program that focuses on driving-related crimes.

The defendant is not eligible for early release from jail.

Theresa Campbell said her son loved life and would do anything for his family.

"No parent should ever have to bury their child," she told the defendant. "My son is gone because of your actions. My family and I will have to live without him for the rest of our lives."

The older victim's adoptive father, who is a retired police officer, told the defendant his crime "slammed my life to a halt."

"He (Anthony) died in a violent manner on a stretch of freeway," Mark Foreman told Johnson. "Nothing you do will bring Anthony back."

Foreman urged the defendant to make something of the rest of his life.

"The routes you choose are up to you," he told Johnson.

The defendant apologized to the victims' family members.

"I'm so sorry for your irreplaceable losses," he said. "I know I will never be the same after this."

Superior Court Judge Eugenia Eyherabide said she was moved by how the victims' families wished Johnson well despite their devastating loss.

The judge urged Johnson not to forget what happened, but also not to let it define him as a person.

The 16-year-old driver who Johnson was racing was prosecuted in Juvenile Court. He pleaded guilty to gross vehicular manslaughter resulting in death and was sentenced to a year in custody at a Juvenile facility.

Authorities said the the two motorists were racing at speeds of up to 100 miles per hour when the younger driver lost control of his car about 11:45 p.m., killing Campbell and Foreman.

Two others were seriously injured. The two carloads of teens were heading home from a bonfire at La Jolla Shores.


Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.