Identified: Man armed with rifle shot by police downtown - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Identified: Man armed with rifle shot by police downtown

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (CNS) - A man with an assault rifle and wearing body armor was wounded in a shootout with police in a downtown apartment building's lobby Sunday, and was arrested as he tried to walk out of the building, police said.

The 24-year-old shot has been identified Monday as an active duty Navy man. Esteban Nandin, who is stationed on the USS Gary, was wounded in the upper torso and arm in the 3 a.m. shooting Sunday at the building on Third Avenue near Market Street, San Diego police homicide Lt. Jorge Duran said.

Nandin was hospitalized at UCSD Medical Center and underwent surgery and has been sedated so officers have not been able talk to him yet.

Duran said they do not know the motive for his actions but do suspect that alcohol may have been involved. There is no indication that he wanted to commit suicide, the lieutenant said.

Detectives hope to talk with Nandin Monday afternoon and present the case to the District Attorney's Office Tuesday. If he is not well enough to leave the hospital he will be arraigned at the hospital.

Officers were called to a six-story residential unit, above commercial space and just south of Horton Plaza, at about 2:53 a.m. Sunday. Someone inside 606 Third Avenue told a 911 dispatcher that a man wearing a tactical vest and carrying a military-style assault-type weapon was in a first-floor corridor.

Police said arriving officers entered the lobby of the building and, as one opened a stairwell door leading to the garage, spotted a man with a gun.

The suspect saw the officers and began to raise the barrel towards them, according to the department statement. The officer closest to the suspect defensively fired two rounds from his duty weapon, striking the suspect, according to police.

The suspect, still armed, retreated into the stairwell. Officers could hear the suspect moving around in the stairwell and called out to him several times to surrender, as they radioed in for backup and a SWAT squad.

At 4:09 a.m., some 50 minutes after the shooting, the suspect emerged from the stairwell through a side exit leading to Third Avenue. At that point, he was unarmed and bleeding from his chest and arm.

He was arrested and taken by paramedics to UCSD Medical Center for treatment. Police said he is expected to survive.

A loaded military-style assault rifle, a gas mask, a handgun and a body armor vest were located in the stairwell, police said.

The officer who fired the shots was identified only as an 18-year veteran of the department.


THIS IS AN UPDATED STORY. For the original copy, read below. 

SAN DIEGO (AP) — A man dressed in camouflage who exchanged gunfire with police in the lobby of a downtown San Diego building was arrested a short time later after being found bloodied and staggering on the street.

City News Service reports the suspect was no longer armed when he was taken into custody early Sunday on Market Street. He had apparently been shot by police.

Police officials say officers responded after a call came in about a man walking through downtown carrying a rifle. When they spotted him a shootout erupted.

No officers were hurt.

The suspect was taken to a hospital. Police have not released his name or his medical condition.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 KFMB-TV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.