SAN DIEGO (CNS) - William Steven Rodriguez has been convicted of kidnapping and raping two girls at a Rancho Penasquitos park last year. He faces multiple life prison terms when he is sentenced January 15, 2013.
This is a breaking news alert. The previous story is below.
SAN DIEGO (CNS) - Verdicts are expected to be announced Monday in the trial of a 17-year-old boy accused in the sexual assaults of two teenage girls in a dark Rancho Penasquitos park.
William Steven Rodriguez is charged as an adult with 21 counts, including conspiracy, kidnapping, forcible rape and sodomy. He faces multiple life terms in state prison if convicted.
Authorities alleged Rodriguez and fellow 17-year-old Leonel Contreras took turns raping the girls the night of Sept. 3, 2011. A separate jury heard the case against Contreras and delivered guilty verdicts last Friday.
Testimony in Rodriguez' case wrapped up earlier than Contreras' but verdicts in Rodriguez' case were ordered sealed until Monday so as not to taint Contreras' case.
The girls, identified as Jane Doe 1 and Jane Doe 2 in court, testified that they were attacked about 8 p.m. Sept. 3, 2011, as they sat under a tree in the park. They said they had walked away from a nearby family party to hang out in the park.
They did not know the boys prior to the rapes, authorities said.
Friday, May 24 2013 2:34 AM EDT2013-05-24 06:34:08 GMT
A man who opened fire on vehicles on State Route 163 during the morning commute more than two years ago, was convicted Thursday of four counts.
A man who opened fire on vehicles on State Route 163 during the morning commute more than two years ago, wounding a college student and damaging the car of another motorist, was convicted Thursday of four counts.