Bail lowered for teen rapper charged in canyon sex assault - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

Bail lowered for teen rapper charged in canyon sex assault

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (CNS & CBS8) - One of four people charged in the sexual assault of a 16-year-old girl after she passed out while binge-drinking with him and three other teenagers in a Lincoln Park canyon had his bail reduced Thursday from $100,000 to $50,000.

Raatib Quidar Prince, 18, faces a maximum of eight years in state prison if convicted of sexual penetration of an unconscious person, according to Deputy District Attorney Karl Husoe.

The penal code under which Prince is charged may apply to either digital penetration or penetration with an object, according to Husoe, who declined to elaborate on the specific details of the case.

The other suspects -- two 17-year-old boys and a 14-year-old girl -- are being prosecuted in Juvenile Court.  Because the suspects are minors, the charges against them have not been made public.

Judge Theodore Weathers cut Prince's bail in half Thursday after defense attorney Stacie Patterson said her client has no criminal record, has a place to stay if released and had a job when he was arrested.

Court records show Prince lives with his foster mother in the Skyline community.  He had recently applied to attend San Diego City College in the Spring of 2013, and he was working as an intern at Cox Communications at the time of his arrest.

About 9 p.m. on Nov. 26, the blacked-out victim was found in a gorge off the 300 block of 49th Street. Medics took her to a hospital, where she was admitted in "grave condition," SDPD Lt. Anastasia Smith said. The girl remained unconscious until about 10 a.m. the following day.

Detectives determined that she and a group of teenage companions had consumed "large quantities" of straight vodka prior to the alleged assaults.

In a jailhouse interview with News 8, Prince admitted he had been drinking with the teenagers, but claimed he was not in the canyon at the time of the sexual assault.  He said he left the canyon to walk his girlfriend home and later returned to find the victim alone and passed out, so he called for help.

"If I didn't go for help, she would have died.  And, it wouldn't have been a sexual assault.  It would have been a murder case," said Prince.

Investigators believe the girl had passed out about five hours prior to being rescued. She has since been released from the hospital and is expected to fully recover, Smith said.

The alleged victim is acquainted with the suspects and attends the same high school as several of them, according to police.

Prince will be back in court Jan. 7 for a readiness conference and Jan. 25 for a preliminary hearing.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.