City Heights apartment fire caused by welding torch - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

City Heights apartment fire caused by welding torch

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (CNS) - A welding torch sparked a fire Tuesday that damaged the roof of a City Heights apartment building and caused one woman to suffer non-life-threatening respiratory distress, authorities said.

The blaze at the corner of 47th Street and University Avenue erupted about 1 p.m., according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.

Crews were able to confine the flames to the roof of the two-story structure and had them extinguished within 10 minutes, SDFRD spokesman Maurice Luque said.

An asthmatic 62-year-old woman who evacuated one of the rental units along with her adult daughter and toddler granddaughter was treated at the scene for respiratory trouble, Luque said. The fire caused no other reported injuries or medical problems.

The blaze broke out as workers were installing solar panels on the roof of the apartment building, the spokesman said.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.