Linda Vista family of 7 loses home in fire - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

Linda Vista family of 7 loses home in fire

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (CNS) - Seven people found themselves displaced Wednesday because of a cooking fire that gutted their Linda Vista home, causing more than $300,000 in damage, authorities said.

The noninjury blaze in the 3200 block of Ashford Street erupted just after 4 p.m. Tuesday, according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.

Police blocked off traffic lanes in the area while firefighters extinguished the flames, which took about 15 minutes, the department's Maurice Luque said.

The American Red Cross was called in to help the residents -- a married couple; their four children, ranging in age from 8 to 22; and the youths' grandmother -- arrange for interim housing.

The fire was started by unattended food left cooking, according to Luque, who broke down the damage as $500 to a fence, $200,000 to the structure and $100,000 to its contents.

 

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.