Wall heater blamed in La Mesa house fire that killed family's pe - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

Wall heater blamed in La Mesa house fire that killed family's pets

Posted: Updated:

LA MESA (CNS) - A fire that caused $50,000 damage to a La Mesa home Wednesday and killed a dog apparently was started by a wall heater, fire officials said.

The fire in the 8400 block of Sunrise Avenue was reported about 10:15 a.m., according to Sonny Saghera, spokesman for the Heartland Fire & Rescue Department. Crews arrived to find a structure behind a house in flames, he said.

Firefighters contained the blaze to the single-occupancy unit and had it out in about 10 minutes, Saghera said.

Its resident was not injured, a Heartland dispatcher said, but a dog was found inside the structure. Firefighters attempted CPR on the dog, but were unable to save him, Saghera said.

The fire was described as accidental but it was unclear if the wall heater was defective or if it ignited nearby combustible material.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.