Father of Conn. school gunman claims son's body - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

Father of Conn. school gunman claims son's body

Posted: Updated:
This undated file photo circulated by law enforcement and provided by NBC News, shows Adam Lanza. (AP Photo/NBC News, File) This undated file photo circulated by law enforcement and provided by NBC News, shows Adam Lanza. (AP Photo/NBC News, File)

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — The father of the gunman who killed 26 people in a Connecticut elementary school, including 20 first-graders, has claimed his son's body, a spokesman for the family said Monday.

The remains of Adam Lanza were claimed by Peter Lanza, the spokesman said. He said there were private arrangements over the weekend, but would not elaborate on what those arrangements were.

The office of Connecticut's medical examiner released the body on Thursday to a person who asked to be anonymous, according to Linda Sylvia, an office spokeswoman.

Adam Lanza, 20, slaughtered the children and six adults at the Sandy Hook Elementary School on Dec. 14. He also killed his mother in their Newtown home before going on the rampage and then committing suicide.

A private funeral was held earlier this month in New Hampshire for his mother, Nancy Lanza, who was divorced from Peter Lanza.

Peter Lanza lives in Stamford, Conn., and is a tax director at General Electric.

Authorities have not offered a motive for the killings. State police say they have been exploring all aspects of Adam Lanza's life including his education, family history and medical treatment for clues.

Police have said it could take months to produce a final report on their investigation.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Suspect using cell phone during bank robbery

    Suspect using cell phone during bank robbery

    Saturday, April 19 2014 6:42 PM EDT2014-04-19 22:42:54 GMT
    A man typed out a robbery demand message on his cell phone, and showed it to a teller to rob a credit union branch in northern San Diego, police said Saturday. 
    A man typed out a robbery demand message on his cell phone, and showed it to a teller to rob a credit union branch in northern San Diego, police said Saturday. 
  • Fatal collision on I-8 shuts down lanes

    Fatal collision on I-8 shuts down lanes

    Saturday, April 19 2014 6:37 PM EDT2014-04-19 22:37:58 GMT
    A 71-year-old man was killed in a chain reaction crash on Interstate 8 in La Mesa. The crash temporarily shut down all eastbound traffic, authorities said Saturday. 
    A 71-year-old man was killed in a chain reaction crash on Interstate 8 in La Mesa. The crash temporarily shut down all eastbound traffic, authorities said Saturday. 
  • San Diego Opera gets reprieve as new president takes over

    San Diego Opera gets reprieve as new president takes over

    Saturday, April 19 2014 12:26 PM EDT2014-04-19 16:26:31 GMT
    The San Diego Opera announced Friday that its proposed shutdown has been delayed to at least May 19 to give board members time to find ways to keep the company running. 
    The San Diego Opera announced Friday that its proposed shutdown has been delayed to at least May 19 to give board members time to find ways to keep the company running. 
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.