(CBS 8) - With the New Year comes hundreds of new laws in California.
Some of them include:
- A ban on picketing at funerals.
- Increased birth control access allowing registered nurses to dispense drugs and other devices.
- A law allowing an estimated 400,000 undocumented immigrants to obtain driver's licenses as part of the federal deferred action program.
- Social media privacy laws that ban universities & employers from requiring people to disclose their user name and password.
- Laws making some forms of internet bullying illegal, including making fake profiles and burning pages to attack someone.
- A Good Samaritan law preventing a person from being arrested for drug use or possession if they call for help in the instance of an overdose.
An 18-year-old student has been hospitalized and is undergoing a psychological evaluation after allegedly threatening her parents with a knife.
A preliminary hearing is scheduled Tuesday for a former San Diego police officer accused of groping four women during pat-down searches last year.
Chula Vista police will be looking for drivers talking or texting on cell phones Tuesday and through the end of the month as part of "Distracting Driving Awareness Month."