Officials ask public to avoid water at Imperial Beach - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

Officials ask public to avoid water at Imperial Beach

Posted: Updated:

IMPERIAL BEACH (CNS) - The waters off the beaches south of Carnation Avenue in Imperial Beach were off limits Wednesday because of sewage-tainted runoff from the Tijuana River.

Sewage-contaminated runoff in the Tijuana River has been entering the Tijuana Estuary as a result of recent rainfall and was still flowing as of New Year's Day, according to San Diego County Department of Environmental Health spokesman Mark McPherson.

Observations made Tuesday prompted county officials to suspect ocean currents moving northward pushed the contamination toward the waters at

Imperial Beach, he said. The county had previously closed the area at the Tijuana Slough National Wildlife Refuge shoreline.

McPherson said signs warning of the contamination would remain in place until testing indicates the water is safe for recreational use once again.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Police update neighbors about North Park attacks

    Police update neighbors about North Park attacks

    Thursday, July 24 2014 9:03 AM EDT2014-07-24 13:03:34 GMT
    San Diego police assure North Park residents their community is a safe place to live and they are doing everything they can to catch the predators attacking women 
    San Diego police assure North Park residents their community is a safe place to live and they are doing everything they can to catch the predators attacking women 
  • City wasting water while telling us to conserve?

    City wasting water while telling us to conserve?

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 11:07 PM EDT2014-07-24 03:07:29 GMT
    While the San Diego City Council may be preaching water conservation, some city work crews may not be heeding the word. 
    While the San Diego City Council may be preaching water conservation, some city work crews may not be heeding the word. 
  • Freed sex offender accused of attacking 70-year-old woman

    Freed sex offender accused of attacking 70-year-old woman

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 11:06 PM EDT2014-07-24 03:06:59 GMT
    A previously paroled sex offender accused of sexually assaulting a 70-year-old Jacumba resident in her home pleaded not guilty Wednesday to charges of assault with intent to commit a sex offense and hot prowl residential burglary. 
    A previously paroled sex offender accused of sexually assaulting a 70-year-old Jacumba resident in her home pleaded not guilty Wednesday to charges of assault with intent to commit a sex offense and hot prowl residential burglary. 
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.