Debris by furnace catches fire in Victorian house - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

Debris by furnace catches fire in Victorian house

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (CBS 8) - Firefighters saved a vintage Victorian house in Golden Hill Monday morning.

Smoke and flames were reported coming from the furnace downstairs at a house on the corner of 23rd Street and Broadway. Firefighters say rags and debris were too close to the heater, and they caught fire. It's a common problem this time of year.

"As the weather turns colder, we see a lot of fires where the heaters haven't been operated then they get turned on for the first time and combustibles haven't been moved back," San Diego Fire and Rescue Battalion Chief Lane Woolery said.

The fire was contained to the basement. Fire inspectors say the damage is less than $500.

No injuries were reported.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.