SAN DIEGO (CNS) - Mayor Bob Filner and police Chief William Lansdowne are scheduled to announce Friday whether they will maintain the city of San Diego's red light camera program.
The cameras have been operating at 15 busy intersections for years, but a contract with the private firm that operates them is set to expire Thursday night at midnight, and the cameras are set to be shut off.
During the election campaign, Filner said he wasn't in favor of the program as it was set up. His predecessor, Jerry Sanders, declined to bring a contract renewal to the City Council before he left office last month.
Filner scheduled his news conference for N. Harbor Drive and Grape Street, used by some drivers leaving Lindbergh Field for Interstate 5 and by others as a way to depart the downtown waterfront. Long lines form at the intersection's traffic signals, so desperate drivers often try to squeeze onto Grape Street after the yellow traffic signal has blinked to red.
The cameras are designed to automatically take photographs of red-light runners, capturing the vehicle's driver and license plate. Fines are nearly $500.
The intersection accounted for almost 25 percent of the nearly 20,000 citations issued by the program in 2011, according to a report by U-T San Diego. However, statistics show no accidents at the location since 2001, the newspaper reported.
According to the city of San Diego's website, red light cameras are set up at the following other intersections:
Los Angeles and Houston got rid of their red light cameras last year.
Scientists continue to make progress on an early earthquake warning system for California, but funding is in doubt.
A California assemblywoman says accusations of sexual misconduct against her are part of a political effort to discredit her.
A man described as elderly and unable to walk was rescued Tuesday from a burning apartment in La Mesa.
A cold snap that settled over Southern California over the weekend delivered a few record low temperatures in the San Diego area Tuesday, the National Weather Service reported.
For a few years now, the lowly San Diego Padres have preached about "the process" of their deep rebuild via the draft and signing international players after their win-now attempt with pricey veterans failed so spectacularly in 2015.
A social media post originally believed to have threatened a school shooting at San Marcos High School Tuesday sparked an investigation that found there was no specific threat made to the school, law enforcement and school district officials said.
The discovery of a threatening graffiti scrawl at High Tech High Media Arts led Tuesday to a heightened police presence at the Point Loma charter school.
It began as an innovation project and now it's become what many are calling the car of the future. News 8's Shawn Styles takes us behind the wheel of an electric car that was developed from Crowd Sourcing.