US confirms attack in Turkey, issues warning - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

US confirms attack in Turkey, issues warning

Posted: Updated:
© Medics carry an injured woman on a stretcher to an ambulance after a suspected suicide bomber detonated an explosive device at the entrance of the U.S. Embassy in the Turkish capital, Ankara, Turkey, Friday Feb. 1, 2013. © Medics carry an injured woman on a stretcher to an ambulance after a suspected suicide bomber detonated an explosive device at the entrance of the U.S. Embassy in the Turkish capital, Ankara, Turkey, Friday Feb. 1, 2013.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The State Department confirmed a terrorist attack Friday just outside the U.S. Embassy in Ankara and told Americans to stay away from U.S. diplomatic offices throughout Turkey.

Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said the explosion occurred on the perimeter of the embassy at about 1:15 pm local time.

"We can confirm a terrorist blast at a check point on the perimeter of our embassy compound in Ankara," she said in a statement. "We are working closely with the Turkish national police to make a full assessment of the damage and the casualties, and to begin an investigation."

Officials in the Turkish capital said a suspected suicide bomber detonated an explosive in front of the embassy, killing himself and one other person at the entrance gate. U.S. Ambassador Francis Ricciardione identified the other death as an embassy guard.

No Americans were believed to be injured in the attack, officials said.

Ricciardone said at least another Turkish citizen was wounded, and that more guards may have been injured.

"The compound is secure," he said.

The U.S. and Turkey "will continue to fight terrorism together," Ricciardone added. "From today's event it is clear that we both suffer from this terrible, terrible problem of today's world. We are determined after events like this even more to cooperate together until we defeat this problem together."

Americans were warned to avoid visiting the embassy or U.S. consulates in Istanbul and Adana until further notice, and were told to register on the State Department's website.

"The Department of State advises U.S. citizens traveling or residing in Turkey to be alert to the potential for violence, to avoid those areas where disturbances have occurred, and to avoid demonstrations and large gatherings," said a statement issued by the U.S. Consulate in Istanbul. "Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence. U.S. citizens are therefore urged to avoid the areas of demonstrations if possible, and to exercise caution if within the vicinity of any demonstrations."

___

Smart Traveler Enrollment Program: https://step.state.gov/step/

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.

THIS IS AN UPDATED STORY. READ BELOW FOR THE EARLIER COPY. 

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Turkey's Interior Minister Muammer Guler says a suicide bomber who detonated an explosive in front of the U.S. Embassy in Ankara is most likely connected to a domestic left-wing militant organization.

A police official told the Associated Press that the bomber is most likely a suspected member of the outlawed Revolutionary People's Liberation Party-Front.

He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not permitted to speak to the press.

The group is designated a terrorist organization by the United States but had been relatively quiet in recent years.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Person of interest sought in North Park attack

    Person of interest sought in North Park attack

    Saturday, August 30 2014 3:53 PM EDT2014-08-30 19:53:27 GMT
    Police Saturday released photos of a "person of interest" in the most recent assault in North Park and asked the public's help in identifying the man, who was seen in the area of the attack. 
    Police Saturday released photos of a "person of interest" in the most recent assault in North Park and asked the public's help in identifying the man, who was seen in the area of the attack. 
  • Horse rescued from Valley Center gives birth

    Horse rescued from Valley Center gives birth

    Saturday, August 30 2014 3:33 PM EDT2014-08-30 19:33:11 GMT
    A horse rescued from a Valley Center property last weekend has given birth to a healthy foal.  
    A horse rescued from a Valley Center property last weekend has given birth to a healthy foal.  
  • Health officials warn about West Nile virus risk

    Health officials warn about West Nile virus risk

    Saturday, August 30 2014 3:23 PM EDT2014-08-30 19:23:26 GMT
    A 73-year-old La Mesa man is recovering from a bout with an illness associated with West Nile virus, and an El Cajon woman probably contracted the mosquito-borne disease, as well, the San Diego County Health and Human Services Agency reported Friday. 
    A 73-year-old La Mesa man is recovering from a bout with an illness associated with West Nile virus, and an El Cajon woman probably contracted the mosquito-borne disease, as well, the San Diego County Health and Human Services Agency reported Friday. 
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.