SAN DIEGO (CNS) - A floor furnace sparked a fire that caused an estimated $150,000 worth of damage to a Rolando-area rental home Wednesday and left a man and his two daughters in need of interim lodging.
The noninjury blaze in the 4800 block of 70th Street was reported about 10 a.m., according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.
It took crews less than 10 minutes to douse the flames, which burned a section of hallway and caused extensive smoke and heat damage throughout the house, SDFRD spokesman Maurice Luque said.
Investigators estimated damage to the single-story home at $75,000 and damage to its contents at $75,000.
The American Red Cross was notified to help the displaced family members with emergency housing, Luque said.
Testimony is set to resume Wednesday in a preliminary hearing for a former San Diego police officer accused of groping and illegally detaining women while on patrol last year.
Jury selection was scheduled to begin Wednesday in the trial of a man accused of gunning down his ex-wife in their Lakeside home and then trying to commit suicide by inhaling carbon monoxide.
A San Diego State student awoke to find a man rummaging through her apartment near campus early Wednesday, police said.
Three months after proposing a ballot measure to increase the minimum wage in San Diego, City Council President Todd Gloria is scheduled Wednesday to release details of the plan, including an amount.
An 18-year-old student has been hospitalized and is undergoing a psychological evaluation after allegedly threatening her parents with a knife.
A preliminary hearing is scheduled Tuesday for a former San Diego police officer accused of groping four women during pat-down searches last year.