Teen rapist will not have to register as a sex offender - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

Teen rapist will not have to register as a sex offender

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (CNS/ CBS8) - A man who sexually assaulted a 16-year-old girl after she passed out while binge-drinking, walked free late Thursday night after being sentenced to jail time that he had already served.

Raatib Quidar Prince, 19, pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to a charge of rape by a foreign object. The 16-year-old victim was drinking with Prince and three other teenagers in a Lincoln Park canyon in November 2012, when the assault occurred.

In court Thursday, Judge Laura Halgren denied a request by prosecutors to require Prince to register as a sex offender, saying the defendant was not a predator and was not likely to commit a similar crime.

Defense attorney Stacie Patterson told the judge that the sex was not forced, and Prince had no criminal record.

Prosecutor Karl Husoe unsuccessfully argued for sending Prince to jail for a year.

Prince spoke exclusively to News 8 as he walked out of George Bailey Detention Facility on Thursday night, saying "it feels good" to be free after spending four months behind bars.

Prince also said he only agreed to plead guilty to a felony charge of rape by a foreign object in order to get out of jail. He also maintains that he didn't do anything wrong and that he was the one who went to call the police to help the victim.

"The detective told me that if I didn't go for help it would have been a murder case."

About 9 p.m. on Nov. 26, the girl was spotted in a gorge off the 300 block of 49th Street. Paramedics took her to a hospital, where she was admitted in what police then called "grave condition."

Detectives determined that she and a group of teenagers had consumed "large quantities" of straight vodka.

Investigators believe the girl had passed out about five hours before being found, police Lt. Anastasia Smith said. She knew all the suspects, some of whom go to the same high school as her.

The other suspects -- two 17-year-old boys and a 14-year-old girl -- were prosecuted in Juvenile Court.

During the hearing, Judge Halgren said that Prince's decision to go in search of help ultimately weighed in his favor when determining his sentence.

Prince will be on probation for three years and has been ordered not to have any further contact with the victim.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.