Local authorities taking precaution in wake of Boston bombing - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

Local authorities taking precaution in wake of Boston bombing

Posted: Updated:
  • RelatedMore>>

  • Pressure-cooker bombs suspected in Boston blast

    Pressure-cooker bombs suspected in Boston blast

    Tuesday, April 16 2013 10:31 PM EDT2013-04-17 02:31:53 GMT
    The bombs that ripped through the crowd at the Boston Marathon, killing three people and wounding more than 170. 
    The bombs that ripped through the crowd at the Boston Marathon, killing three people and wounding more than 170, were fashioned out of pressure cookers and packed with metal shards, nails and ball bearings to inflict maximum carnage, a person briefed on the investigation said Tuesday. 

SAN DIEGO (CBS 8/CNS) - Plans were underway Tuesday to beef up security at San Diego's famed Rock `n' Roll Half Marathon and Marathon in the aftermath of the Boston Marathon explosions that killed at least three people and injured more than 140.

"We'll certainly elevate our procedures and policies to take greater caution given the tragic events (at Boston)," Competitor Group CEO Scott Dickey told U-T San Diego.

The Competitor Group puts on San Diego's annual Rock `n' Roll Half Marathon and Marathon, which this year is scheduled to take place on June 2.

Last year's half marathon was the sixth largest in the United States, with 17,604 finishers, and the marathon was the 10 largest in the country, with 7,106 finishers, according to U-T San Diego.

Dickey said it was too early to say just what sort of precautions will be taken this year.

On Monday, two fiery blasts went off within seconds of each other near the finish line of this year's Boston Marathon, knocking runners and spectators off their feet. More than 120 San Diegans were among the 23,000 runners who took part in the marathon.

News 8 learned Monday a number of San Diegans were in the area when the blasts happened.

Kimberly and Ned Beatty are staying two blocks away from where two of the blasts occurred. They both ran the marathon and were near the finish line when the bombs went off.

Five minutes after crossing the finish line at the Boston Marathon, Kimberly Beatty says it felt as if cannons were going off in the crowd.

"We heard this huge explosion and we turned around and saw this huge plume of smoke. There were families there, children there, and there was another explosion after that," she said.

It was not immediately clear whether anyone with San Diego ties was among the dead or injured.

Because of the blasts, law enforcement officials in the San Diego area went on heightened alert, though there were no known specific threats to the region.

"We're working very closely with our local and federal law enforcement counterparts," said Jan Caldwell, a spokeswoman for the San Diego County Sheriff's Department. "These appear to be tragic, isolated events in Boston. We have no indication there is any (local) threat ... . If that changes, we will immediately let the community know."

Likewise, the San Diego Police Department's personnel were being extra vigilant due to the bombings, SDPD public information officer Gary Hassen said.

He declined to disclose whether the department had increased or shifted patrols, or instituted any other out-of-the-ordinary measures.

"We do not discuss security (publicly)," he said.

Unlike at airports in Los Angeles and Orange counties, administrators at Lindbergh Field made no immediate changes since the Transportation Security Administration had not directed them to do so, according to airport spokeswoman Rebecca Bloomfield.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.