Council observes moment of silence for Boston Marathon bombing - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

Council observes moment of silence for Boston Marathon bombing

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (CNS) - The San Diego City Council observed a moment of silence Tuesday to honor the victims, families and first responders of Monday's bombing near the finish line of the Boston Marathon.

City Council President Todd Gloria said their prayers were with the city of Boston and its residents.

Three people were killed and around 170 injured in a pair of explosions, with 17 of the hurt listed in critical condition.

One of the dead was an 8-year-old boy whose mother and sister were among those seriously injured.

President Barack Obama said Tuesday the FBI was investigating the bombing as "an act of terror."

San Diego Mayor Bob Filner released a statement late Monday that called the attack "deplorable and heart-breaking."

"The city of San Diego weeps with the people of Boston and we stand with you in a nationwide desire and resolve to find a solution to keep random, violent tragedy from striking," Filner said. "Enough is enough."

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Police update neighbors about North Park attacks

    Police update neighbors about North Park attacks

    Thursday, July 24 2014 9:03 AM EDT2014-07-24 13:03:34 GMT
    San Diego police assure North Park residents their community is a safe place to live and they are doing everything they can to catch the predators attacking women 
    San Diego police assure North Park residents their community is a safe place to live and they are doing everything they can to catch the predators attacking women 
  • City wasting water while telling us to conserve?

    City wasting water while telling us to conserve?

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 11:07 PM EDT2014-07-24 03:07:29 GMT
    While the San Diego City Council may be preaching water conservation, some city work crews may not be heeding the word. 
    While the San Diego City Council may be preaching water conservation, some city work crews may not be heeding the word. 
  • Freed sex offender accused of attacking 70-year-old woman

    Freed sex offender accused of attacking 70-year-old woman

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 11:06 PM EDT2014-07-24 03:06:59 GMT
    A previously paroled sex offender accused of sexually assaulting a 70-year-old Jacumba resident in her home pleaded not guilty Wednesday to charges of assault with intent to commit a sex offense and hot prowl residential burglary. 
    A previously paroled sex offender accused of sexually assaulting a 70-year-old Jacumba resident in her home pleaded not guilty Wednesday to charges of assault with intent to commit a sex offense and hot prowl residential burglary. 
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.