Border Patrol agent acquitted of abusing migrant - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

Border Patrol agent acquitted of abusing migrant

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (AP) — A jury deliberated less than eight hours before acquitting a Border Patrol agent Friday of a charge that he choked a migrant, ending a rare case of the government prosecuting border authorities for using excessive force.

Federal prosecutors relied largely on surveillance video that showed the migrant collapsing in a confrontation with the agent, Luis Fonseca, at a Border Patrol station in Imperial Beach in July 2011, shortly after his arrest on suspicion of entering the country illegally.

"The way it was portrayed, the jury was expecting much worse," Stuart Adams, Fonseca's attorney, said outside the courthouse.

The swift acquittal on one count of deprivation of rights under color of law comes as U.S. border authorities are under growing scrutiny for its rules on use of force. The Department of Homeland Security ordered a review of its policies and practices late last year and the department's inspector general is conducting its own study.

Adams said jurors were likely persuaded by a doctor of emergency medicine whose testimony challenged that the migrant fell unconscious, suggesting instead that he was faking. Other witnesses supported the defense case that the agent acted as he was trained and that the migrant disobeyed orders, he said.

Prosecutors said in a pretrial court filing that Fonseca kneed the migrant, Adolfo Ceja, in the thigh and ordered him to the ground. They said the video shows Fonseca's hand on Ceja's throat even as the migrant has his hands on the wall. Ceja turns limp and collapses to the floor "with seizure-like movements."

Ceja appears to quickly regain consciousness, at which time Fonseca kicks him, according to prosecutors.

Five days later, Ceja attempted to enter the country at a San Diego border crossing on someone else's identification and reported the incident to an inspector, triggering the investigation, prosecutors said.

Fonseca, who has been on administrative leave, declined to speak with reporters after the verdict but his attorney said he was eager to return to his job.

Critics of the Border Patrol's record on use of force condemned the verdict.

"This sends the wrong message to Border Patrol and fuels a culture of impunity in the agency," said Andrea Guerrero, executive director of advocacy group Alliance San Diego. "As a matter of policy and practice, it should never be acceptable to strangle someone who poses no threat, then kick him while he is down and walk away as if no harm had been done."

 

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Court rules against plan to fund convention center expansion

    Court rules against plan to fund convention center expansion

    Friday, August 1 2014 11:28 PM EDT2014-08-02 03:28:40 GMT
    Just a week after Comic-Con International, San Diego's bid to keep the huge annual trade show in town was dealt a severe setback Friday when a state appellate court struck down the mechanism being used to fund a $520 million expansion of the convention center. 
    Just a week after Comic-Con International, San Diego's bid to keep the huge annual trade show in town was dealt a severe setback Friday when a state appellate court struck down the mechanism being used to fund a $520 million expansion of the convention center. 
  • Man accused in bogus charitable website faces judge

    Man accused in bogus charitable website faces judge

    Friday, August 1 2014 11:16 PM EDT2014-08-02 03:16:35 GMT
    A man accused of trying to bilk charitable people via a bogus website soliciting monetary contributions for the family of an Escondido police officer killed in an alleged domestic shooting pleaded not guilty Friday to nine felony charges, including forgery. 
    A man accused of trying to bilk charitable people via a bogus website soliciting monetary contributions for the family of an Escondido police officer killed in an alleged domestic shooting pleaded not guilty Friday to nine felony charges, including forgery. 
  • Not guilty plea from man accused in El Cajon road rage assault

    Not guilty plea from man accused in El Cajon road rage assault

    Friday, August 1 2014 11:16 PM EDT2014-08-02 03:16:11 GMT
    A La Mesa resident accused of severely beating a 76-year-old man during a road-rage confrontation outside an East County drugstore, leaving him with injuries that required several rounds of surgery, pleaded not guilty Friday to elder abuse and assault charges. 
    A La Mesa resident accused of severely beating a 76-year-old man during a road-rage confrontation outside an East County drugstore, leaving him with injuries that required several rounds of surgery, pleaded not guilty Friday to elder abuse and assault charges. 
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.