Preliminary hearing Thursday for man accused in Midtown shooting - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

Preliminary hearing Thursday for man accused in Midtown shooting

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (CNS) - A preliminary hearing is scheduled Thursday for a Midtown resident accused of shooting a homeless man who was causing a disturbance outside a neighborhood market last month.

Antonio Serrano Barragan, who is free on $50,000 bail, faces a maximum 17 years in prison if convicted of assault with a firearm and allegations of great bodily injury and personal discharge of a gun, said Deputy District Attorney Chris Moon.

Barragan, 28, heard a commotion at the business near his home shortly after 11 p.m. on May 6 and responded by grabbing a gun and running over to see what was going on, according to San Diego police.

He arrived at the Cloverleaf Market in the 3000 block of Reynard Way to find Norson Obet pounding on the front door, SDPD Officer Dino Delimitros said.

Moon said Barragan approached and placed himself about 20 feet away from Obet, with the loaded semiautomatic weapon at his side, and repeatedly ordered him to leave the area. Eventually, the victim ran toward the defendant with his hands behind his back, and Barragan fired one shot, wounding Obet in the left shoulder, according to the prosecutor.

A clerk at the store told officers he had ejected the victim for shoplifting and creating a disturbance, and then locked him out, Delimitros said.

Following Thursday's hearing, a judge will determine if enough evidence was presented for Barragan to stand trial.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.