Miramar Air Show will go on despite federal spending cuts - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

Miramar Air Show will go on despite federal spending cuts

Posted: Updated:

MIRAMAR (CNS) - The two-day 58th annual Miramar Air Show this fall will be missing the Blue Angels and other aerial stunts, Commanding Officer Col. John Farnam announced Monday.

"It is my honor to host the 2013 MCAS Miramar Air Show on Oct. 4th and 5th of this year," Farnam said in a statement. "Now as you know the Blue Angels won't be joining us and I won't be able to execute the flight demonstration part of the Marine Air-Ground Task Force but that doesn't mean that your Marine Corps and the MAGTAF are not going to be on display for you here this year."

The long-running air show was historically a three-day event.

In April, the Navy canceled all remaining 2013 performances by the Blue Angels -- including those slated for the Miramar Air Show -- because of federal spending cuts under budget sequestration.

Since then, dozens of air shows have been scrubbed for the same reason. The San Diego City Council earlier in July called on the Defense Department to support the Miramar Air Show after members learned that permits for the show had yet to be issued.

The Miramar Air Show typically attracts about 500,000 people and is said to generate about $17 million in economic activity, a City Council report

Without the Blue Angels and other aerial acrobatics, this year's show will feature a wide range of military aircraft and the Marines who operate them.

"While the show is going to be a little different this year, I tell you it's going to be a time to remember for you and for your family," Farnam said.

 

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.