SAN DIEGO (CNS) - A 4-year-old boy playing with a cigarette lighter Friday sparked a City Heights apartment fire that caused an estimated $300,000 worth of damage and left his family looking for temporary housing.
No one was hurt in the blaze, which erupted in a bedroom of the rental residence in the 2800 block of 47th Street about 10 a.m., according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.
It took crews roughly 10 minutes to extinguish the flames, which did not extend into any other units at the complex, SDFRD spokesman Maurice Luque said.
The American Red Cross was called in to help the displaced residents -- two adults and three children -- arrange for temporary lodging.
Investigators set the monetary losses at $250,000 to the structure and $50,000 contents, Luque said.