SAN DIEGO (CNS) - After 18 years on the bench, San Diego Superior Court Judge John Einhorn is retiring, effective Aug. 31, court officials announced Wednesday.
Einhorn, appointed in 1995 by then-Gov. Pete Wilson, presided over many of San Diego County's most difficult cases, including the Joshua Jenkins murder case in which Jenkins, a minor, was found sane and convicted of killing five family members.
Einhorn was also the judge who handled the death penalty case of Brandon Wilson, who was convicted in the 1998 slaying of a 9-year-old boy in Oceanside.
More recently, Einhorn presided over the case involving the so-called "Birdrock Bandits," in which five La Jolla men were held criminally responsible for their roles in the beating and death of surfer Emery Kauanui.
"Retiring from the Superior Court is the most difficult decision made in my legal career," Einhorn said. "However, it is now time to move on to new challenges."
Einhorn plans to become involved in civic and philanthropic associations. He said he would like to give back to the California and San Diego communities, which he served while practicing law and with which he engaged as a Supervising Superior Court Judge.
Einhorn said he also hopes to play a few more rounds of golf in his retirement.
During his legal tenure, Einhorn was an adjunct professor of law at the University of San Diego and Cal Western, where he taught a Trial Practices course.
"Serving as an ombudsman was a unique, challenging and rewarding assignment," the judge said. "Mentoring lawyers and judges was one good way to give back to the legal community and brought me a unique source of satisfaction that I may pursue in the future."
Einhorn served a two-year term as assistant presiding judge of the Superior Court and another two years as presiding judge. He was the first supervising judge of a unified San Diego Superior Court.
"Judge Einhorn served our court with distinction as a consummate trial judge," said current Presiding Judge Robert Trentacosta. "He handled the most challenging cases with enthusiasm, skill and expertise. He will be sorely missed by all of us."
A notorious figure in the Boston Roman Catholic priest sex abuse scandal was released from prison Friday morning after completing a 12-year sentence for the rape of a boy in the 1980s.
The Beach Blaster ride at Belmont Park in San Diego and five similar attractions statewide were voluntarily shut down by operators today in the wake of a fatal accident at the Ohio State Fair, the California Department of Industrial Relations announced Thursday.
You remember him from classics like “Don’t Be A Menace To South Central While Drinking Your Juice In The Hood” and the “Scary Movie” franchise. These days he’s getting ready to launch his new show “Marlon” and parading around in the nude ahead of the debut of his latest film, “Naked.” Funny family man Marlon Wayans visited the News 8 Morning Extra studios on Friday to talk about his upcoming works, his San Die...
The search is on for two suspects involved in an attempted kidnapping in Encinitas. Residents are being warned to be on the lookout for two men who tried kidnapping a 15-year-old girl as she waxed her surfboard earlier this week.
A trend of warm, dry weather will continue across the county Friday before humidity and possible thunderstorms return over the weekend.
Manuel Margot came within a triple of the cycle and fellow rookie Dusty Coleman hit his first major league home run, leading the San Diego Padres past the New York Mets 7-5 on Thursday night.
A crash happened during the morning commute Wednesday on the northbound I-805 just past SR-52. News 8's Marcella Lee reports near the scene with reaction from that witness and the CHP.
Two women who allegedly took part in a botched La Mesa mugging that left a man dead pleaded not guilty today to robbery and murder charges.