Embattled Toronto mayor admits he has bought illegal drugs - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Embattled Toronto mayor admits he has bought illegal drugs

Posted: Updated:
Mayor Rob Ford speaks on a cell phone at city council in Toronto on Wednesday, Nov. 13, 2013. (AP) Mayor Rob Ford speaks on a cell phone at city council in Toronto on Wednesday, Nov. 13, 2013. (AP)

TORONTO (AP) — Toronto Mayor Rob Ford admitted during a heated City Council debate Wednesday that he bought illegal drugs in the past two years, but he firmly refused to step down even after nearly every councilor stood up to ask him to take a leave of absence.

The mayor made the admission under direct questioning by a former ally, Councilor Denzil Minnan-Wong. Ford publicly acknowledged last week that he smoked crack cocaine while in a "drunken stupor" last year, but his comments Wednesday marked the first time he acknowledged buying illegal drugs.

Ford paused for a long time after Minnan-Wong asked him if he had bought illicit narcotics in the past two years.

Then Ford replied, "Yes I have."

"I understand the embarrassment that I have caused. I am humiliated by it," Ford said.

But he then turned defiant, saying he was not an addict and rebuffing suggestions from council members that he seek help. He insisted he was a "positive role model for kids who are down and out."

"I'm most definitely keeping this job," he said. "I am not leaving here. I'm going to sit here and going to attend every meeting."

Moments earlier, all but two of the 43 councilors present for the debate voted to accept an open letter asking Ford to step aside. Most of them also stood up to urge the mayor to take a leave of absence.

Although it was a stark demonstration of his political isolation, the vote was symbolic because the City Council does not have the authority to force the mayor from office unless he is convicted of a crime.

"Together we stand to ask you to step aside and take a leave of absence," Councilor Jaye Robinson said, reading the open letter.

The packed council chamber erupted with applause when Robinson ended her speech, saying "Let's get on with city business."

Ford later tried to move a motion directing all council members to undergo "hair drug and alcohol testing" by Dec. 1. The City Council chair ruled the motion out of order.

Ford then suggested that many council members are on drugs and they all know stories about each other, but added he's "not a rat."

Outside City Hall, hundreds of protesters chanted "resign!" Organizers of Toronto's Santa Claus Parade asked that Ford not walk in the procession this year.

Ford's refusal to resign has confounded the City Council, where many members agree that his erratic behavior — from public drunkenness to threatening to kill someone in a videotaped tirade — has consumed Toronto's politics and undermined efforts to tackle other challenges.

But with no clear legal path to force him out, the Council is grasping for ways to shunt the larger-than-life leader aside and govern without him until next year's municipal elections.

The open letter was separate from a non-binding motion, also being debated Wednesday, that would formally call on Ford to take a leave of absence, apologize to Toronto residents for misleading them and cooperate with police. The council voted 37-5 to ask Ford to take leave of absence on that motion.

Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly, a Ford ally, announced shortly before the debate that he would support the motion, introduced by Minnan-Wong.

"I'm publicly advising the mayor to take some time," Kelly said.

One Ford ally, Councilor Giorgio Mammoliti, called the motion a waste of time. "We can't tell him what to do. Only the electorate can tell him what to do," he said.

Toronto police said last month they had obtained a long-sought video of Ford apparently smoking from a crack pipe but that it does not constitute evidence to charge him. Toronto Police spokesman Mark Pugash said Ford's acknowledgement Wednesday that he bought illegal drugs would be passed on to investigators.

News reports of the crack video's existence first surfaced in May, but it has not been released publicly.

Another proposed motion would curtail Ford's powers, suspending his authority to appoint and dismiss the deputy mayor and his executive committee, which runs the budget process. It likely won't be debated until Friday.

Toronto's mayor already has limited powers compared to the mayors of many large cities in the United States. He is just one voting member in the council and his power stems mostly from his ability, as the only councilor elected by citywide vote, to build consensus and set the agenda. That authority, many council members say, has evaporated in the crack scandal.

Ford, 44, was elected three years ago, riding a backlash from suburbanites who felt alienated by what they deemed Toronto's downtown-centric, liberal-dominated politics.

Despite his eroding political leverage, Ford promises to seek re-election. He maintains a hardcore of supporters he refers to as "Ford Nation," who applaud him for abolishing an annual $60 vehicle registration tax, squeezing valuable concessions out of the labor unions and other cost-saving measures.

Councilors have expressed concern that more revelations about the mayor's misdeeds will surface and plague city politics.

On Tuesday, a judge agreed to release more documents from a drug case against a friend and occasional driver of the mayor, Alexander Lisi. Previously released documents revealed the mayor's ties and covert meetings with Lisi.

Among the information to be released are allegations that staffers often bought alcohol for the mayor, according to Iain MacKinnon, a lawyer who represents media organizations who sought the release of the documents.

The documents also detail Ford's night out on St. Patrick's Day in 2012, when the mayor himself has said he was "out of control" drunk, MacKinnon told The Associated Press.

Ford was grilled by councilors about his links to a Toronto home where he was photographed with three suspected gang members. A police informant has described the residence as a "crack house" and police have said it relates to the crack video.

"That is not a crack house," Ford said. "Have you been in that house?"

Councilor Michael Thompson retorted: "I have no interest in being in that house. I am not a crack user."

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Rain for wildfire-weary California offers relief and more problems

    Rain for wildfire-weary California offers relief and more problems

    Tuesday, November 20 2018 4:29 AM EST2018-11-20 09:29:01 GMT
    Nov 20, 2018 7:06 PM2018-11-21 00:06:00 GMT

    The scorched Northern California town of Paradise should get its first significant rainfall in six months this week, a forecast that would at least interrupt one of the most horrific fire seasons in state history.

     

    The scorched Northern California town of Paradise should get its first significant rainfall in six months this week, a forecast that would at least interrupt one of the most horrific fire seasons in state history.

     
  • News 8 viewers help therapeutic horses in Ramona

    News 8 viewers help therapeutic horses in Ramona

    Tuesday, November 20 2018 10:22 PM EST2018-11-21 03:22:10 GMT

    News 8 is happy to share an update on a recent story that will make you smile. Last week we told you about the strong winds that blew away all the sand at the Cornerstone Therapeutic Riding Facility in Ramona.

     

    News 8 is happy to share an update on a recent story that will make you smile. Last week we told you about the strong winds that blew away all the sand at the Cornerstone Therapeutic Riding Facility in Ramona.

     
  • Frustration, chaos as California fire recovery drags on

    List of missing in Northern California wildfire drops below 1,000

    Monday, November 19 2018 12:09 AM EST2018-11-19 05:09:05 GMT
    Nov 20, 2018 7:05 PM2018-11-21 00:05:00 GMT
    Lidia Steineman, who lost her home in the Camp Fire, prays during a vigil for fire victims on Sunday, Nov. 18, 2018, in Chico, Calif. More than 50 people gathered at the memorial for the victims. People hugged and shed tears as Pastor Jesse Kearns recitedLidia Steineman, who lost her home in the Camp Fire, prays during a vigil for fire victims on Sunday, Nov. 18, 2018, in Chico, Calif. More than 50 people gathered at the memorial for the victims. People hugged and shed tears as Pastor Jesse Kearns recited

    With 79 people killed in the nation's deadliest wildfire in at least a century, there are still nearly 700 names on the list of those unaccounted for.

     
    It's been 12 days since Christina Taft started the frantic search for her mother Victoria, who refused to evacuate their Paradise home as flames neared, and six days since she gave authorities a cheek swab to identify remains that are likely her mother's. 
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 KFMB-TV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.