Trip to Tijuana, city emails among topics in Faulconer's first m - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

Trip to Tijuana, city emails among topics in Faulconer's first media briefing

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (CBS 8) – Newly sworn-in San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer held his first media briefing, and he has a lot to talk about.

After introducing his new communications team, Faulconer dove right into the city's email retention policy.

"I've signed an order directing that no city emails will be deleted," Faulconer said.

Last week, then-Interim Mayor Todd Gloria sent out a memo saying the city would be deleting emails older than one year because of storage issues. Under Faulconer, that's now on hold.

"We're going to be looking and reviewing that policy to see how it makes sense. Particularly from an IT standpoint, particularly from a cost standpoint," he said.

Faulconer also highlighted his trip Friday to Tijuana, where he will meet with Tijuana Mayor Jorge Astiazaran, members of the Tijuana City Council, the Tijuana Economic Development Corporation and key business leaders of the Tijuana/Binational Community. Jerry Sanders, president and CEO of the San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce, is scheduled to accompany Faulconer on the trip.

"I think the sky is the limit in terms of our relationship with Mexico,'' Faulconer said.

He said that among the top issues will be infrastructure upgrades needed on the U.S. side of the border, including improvements on La Media Road, where congestion creates long delays at the Otay Mesa Port of Entry truck crossing.

Faulconer also announced that the currently unstaffed city of San Diego "office'' in Tijuana will remain open. The location, opened under ex-Mayor Bob Filner, is actually just space set aside for the city's use in the offices of the Tijuana EDC.

"Having that office down there is a very good thing. It's good for TJ, it's a good thing for us here in San Diego. So I will be letting the mayor know that and the Council that we will keep that office, we will expand upon that, and I think the sky's the limit," Faulconer said.

The mayor then opened the briefing up to questions where he was asked about the 2015 Balboa Park centennial celebration. He said former mayor Bob Filner was partly to blame for recent turmoil.

"We got off track with a mayor that had to have a big international focus. Tens of millions of dollars... that's not what we're going to do," he said.

The celebration's planning committee was recently disbanded after a report said the committee missed key deadlines, and exaggerated funding applications. The city will now take the lead in planning, and Faulconer says he'll work with Council President Todd Gloria, who oversees the park.

"I'm confident that we will come together, we will have a celebration that makes sense for this city. Will be a celebration that we can afford, that will be open, that will be transparent. That's what we're going to insist on and I know we're going to be able to accomplish that," Faulconer said.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.