14 charged in online child exploitation network - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

14 charged in online child exploitation network

Posted: Updated:
US Immigration and Customs Enforcement Deputy Director Daniel Ragsdale, left, accompanied by US Customs and Border Protection Deputy Commissioner Thomas S. Winkowski, center, and Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson speaks during a news conference. US Immigration and Customs Enforcement Deputy Director Daniel Ragsdale, left, accompanied by US Customs and Border Protection Deputy Commissioner Thomas S. Winkowski, center, and Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson speaks during a news conference.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Fourteen men were charged with operating an online child exploitation network that investigators said preyed upon hundreds of boys across the United States and overseas, authorities announced Tuesday.

Law enforcement officials said the arrests were part of a worrisome trend in which children are being enticed by adults to post sexually explicit images of themselves that are then shared online. In this case, authorities said, users of an underground network posed online as girls to coerce boys into sharing with them child pornography images.

"These alleged perpetrators preyed upon the most innocent, most vulnerable members of our society with no regard to the immediate or lasting harm they caused to their victims and their families," Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson said at a news conference.

The investigation, called "Operation Round Table," was led by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, U.S. Postal Inspection Service and federal authorities in Louisiana, where the alleged leader of the operation lives.

The roughly 250 victims were spread across 39 states and five other countries — Australia, Belgium, Britain, Canada and New Zealand. Most were boys between 13 and 15. Two victims were 3 or younger, authorities said.

The pornographic images were shared on an underground website on the Tor network, an online anonymity network that masks the location of servers and conceals an Internet user's location. The subscription-based website operated from about June 2012 until June 2013, had more than 27,000 members and shared more than 2,000 webcam-captured videos, mostly of young boys, authorities said.

Eleven of the 14 men, including the man authorities say was the administrator of the network, are being prosecuted in Louisiana. The other three are being charged in New York, Colorado and Wisconsin.

Authorities accuse Jonathan Johnson, of Abita Springs, La., of being the leader of the operation. They say he admitted creating multiple fake female personas from his home and encouraged others to do the same in an effort to entice boys to produce sexually explicit images of themselves. The 27-year-old also instructed members and uploaders on how to avoid getting caught by law enforcement, prosecutors say.

Online court records show Johnson was charged last month through a criminal information, a document that typically signals a guilty plea is near. A change of plea hearing is scheduled for March 27, according to the records. Johnson has been in custody since his arrest last June and faces from 20 years to life in prison.

A lawyer for Johnson did not immediately return a call seeking comment on Tuesday.

____

Follow Eric Tucker on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/etuckerAP

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Sudden storm rips through San Diego

    Sudden storm rips through San Diego

    Wednesday, September 17 2014 1:28 AM EDT2014-09-17 05:28:43 GMT
    Parts of San Diego were hit by a surprise storm Tuesday that pounded local communities and toppled several trees. 
    Parts of San Diego were hit by a surprise storm Tuesday that pounded local communities and toppled several trees. 
  • San Diego fiance pleads for Hurricane Odile aid

    San Diego fiance pleads for Hurricane Odile aid

    Wednesday, September 17 2014 1:17 AM EDT2014-09-17 05:17:17 GMT
    Hurricane Odile crashed one San Diego woman's bachelorette party in Cabo San Lucas. Rachel Lemay and her friends are among the thousands of tourists left stranded in the aftermath of what is now Tropical Storm Odile. And now Lemay's fiancé, who is in San Diego, is requesting humanitarian aid. 
    Hurricane Odile crashed one San Diego woman's bachelorette party in Cabo San Lucas. Rachel Lemay and her friends are among the thousands of tourists left stranded in the aftermath of what is now Tropical Storm Odile. And now Lemay's fiancé, who is in San Diego, is requesting humanitarian aid. 
  • California drivers must give bikes 3-foot buffer

    California drivers must give bikes 3-foot buffer

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 11:34 PM EDT2014-09-17 03:34:14 GMT
    Californians will now need to take extra care to steer clear of cyclists. 
    Californians will now need to take extra care to steer clear of cyclists. 
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.