SAN DIEGO (CNS) - A man who kidnapped and sexually assaulted two women in Ocean Beach over a seven-month period was sentenced Thursday to 30 years to life in state prison.
Richard Christopher Butts, 26, pleaded guilty last month to one count of oral copulation with a kidnapping allegation and one count of forcible rape with a multiple victim allegation, and agreed to the term finalized today by Superior Court Judge Timothy Walsh.
Butts was charged a year ago with sexually assaulting a 26-year-old woman as she walked home from a friend's house. A month later, Butts was charged with kidnapping and forcibly raping a second woman on Aug. 25, 2012. The 2:30 a.m. attack happened close to where the March 24, 2013, sexual assault occurred.
The victim in the earlier attack testified last summer that she was jumped from behind on Muir Avenue as she walked toward her boyfriend's house, punched twice and dragged down a driveway and into a backyard, where her assailant tried to rape her.
The 26-year-old woman said the attacker pulled her hooded sweatshirt over her head, so she didn't get a good look at him. She said the attack continued until the assailant heard something, jumped up and ran off.
James Delmar, who lived next door, testified that he was awakened by loud voices and a commotion. The witness said he saw a male figure dragging a woman down the driveway, then heard her screaming loudly.
Delmar said the woman was screaming, "Please stop! Don't do this! Let me go," and the assailant responded with "Shut the (expletive) up, bitch."
Delmar said the man was breathing heavily and could have been choking the victim during the assault.
Deputy District Attorney Wendy Patrick said the second attack happened about 10:15 p.m. as the victim tried to make her way home after dinner at a friend's house.
A 911 caller reported the woman screaming for help near Bacon and Voltaire streets. When witnesses ran to her aid, the assailant bolted toward Robb Field, San Diego police Detective Gary Hassen said. Patrol officers found Butts near the park a short time later and arrested him.
The sea of pink continued Sunday with 2,200 people marching in the name of breast cancer research funding on the third - and final - day of the Susan G. Komen San Diego 3-Day.
Five people beat to unconscious a 37-year-old man and then took his cell phone at the Horton Plaza in San Diego, a police officer said Sunday.
A non-injury fire Sunday completely destroyed one unit and damaged another in a Rancho Penasquitos apartment complex, displacing two families.
Pancho Segura, who rose from poverty to win six U.S. Pro singles and doubles championships and was one of the world's top amateur players in the 1940s and professionals in the 1950s, has died. He was 96.
A mistaken bump led to a man getting bit and cut with a knife near the Ocean Beach Pier, police said Sunday.
A man died after his body caught fire, police said Saturday. At 11:30 p.m. Friday, police received a call regarding a person on fire in a field near 5200 Pacific Highway in Mission Bay Park, according to the San Diego Police Department.
The San Diego Rescue Mission opened its doors to the homeless community on Saturday for its annual Thanksgiving celebration.