Border shut down after carjacking leads to shooting - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Border shut down after carjacking leads to shooting

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (CBS 8) - Lanes at the Otay Mesa Port of Entry are finally open after being closed for hours while police investigated a shooting involving a Border Patrol agent.

Police say it started after a man carjacked a family's vehicle from a San Ysidro shopping center. Officers chased him to the border but the pursuit ended with one shot being fired at the suspect. But the man managed to get away.

Following Saturday morning's carjacking, which led to a pursuit and ultimately an officer-involved shooting, Liz Luna -- who was at the center of it all -- is still in shock.

"I didn't see any weapons. He just tells me get out. Get out of the car," Luna said. 

Luna was sitting in the passenger seat of her truck waiting for family members who were inside the duty free store when the carjacking suspect approached without realizing she wasn't alone.

"He didn't see my son because there was stuff in the back seat covering so I said, you know my son, I need to get my son out and he's already driving away at this point," she said. 

Luna made it halfway out the car but was struggling to get her son out because of the child proof lock.

"He drags me about 10 feet. I'm like dragging. My shoe fell off and everything," Luna said. 

Finally, the suspect unlocked her son's door, pushed him out and took off.

"I ran inside and I told my husband and I said they just stole the car...they stole the truck. He runs out with his dad and they actually took off in my father in-law's car to go try and find the guy," Luna said. 

911 was called and within minutes, San Diego police spotted the vehicle on the 905 and a pursuit ensued all the way to the border.

"And as the suspect tried to cross the border, one agent fired one round from a shotgun hitting the vehicle on the rear-view window," said San Diego police Captain Al Guaderrama. 

He still managed to make it into Mexico. The truck was recovered but not the suspect.

Meanwhile, authorities shut down the southbound Otay Mesa border crossing, leaving drivers confused and frustrated.

"I don't know what's going on. We've been here for about an hour and a half," said one driver. 

For those not wanting to wait, traffic was diverted to San Ysidro, which was also backed up.

As for Luna -- she's just grateful.

"I mean, I'm just happy I have my son. I could care less about anything else. We're safe and we weren't hurt," she said. 

Investigators do not believe the suspect was hit. As for Luna, she twisted her ankle during the ordeal.

The suspect is described as a heavy-set Hispanic male between 5 feet 7 inches and 5 feet 8 inches.

San Diego police are looking at surveillance video to see if there's anything that could help in the investigation, and are working with Mexican authorities.

Anyone with information is asked to call police at (619) 531-2293, or to contact Crime Stoppers at (888) 580-8477.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.