Couple forced to flee from home after kitchen fire - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

Couple forced to flee from home after kitchen fire

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (CBS 8) - A man was taken to the hospital Tuesday morning after breaking a window to escape a fire.

The fire broke out in the kitchen of his home in the 11000 block of Calenda Road.

Hans Wiesenfarth says smoke alarms may have saved his family's lives. He and his wife woke up to flames in their Rancho Bernardo home.

He broke out a glass window to rescue his cats, injuring his hand.

Firefighters had their hands full, battling flames coming from the kitchen at 12:15 a.m. Tuesday.

Wiesenfarth awoke to chaos.

"My wife woke up because the fire alarm went off it was upstairs... I didn't even know," Wiesenfarth said.

A possible life saver that pushed him into action. He rushed out of the house with his wife before punching a glass window to rescue their four cats -- leaving his hand in bandages and stitches.

"I broke the window to get the cats out and that was a mistake," Wiesenfarth said.

San Diego Fire and Rescue says an electrical problem in the kitchen caused $75,000 in damages. 

Wiesenfarth says he happened to check the smoke detector batteries just last week. The homeowner believes it was an old power strip that caught fire.

"But fortunately the fire alarms worked," Wiesenfarth said.

The family is now staying at a local hotel until their house is repaired and restored. The husband, wife and cats are expected to be okay.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.