DoSomething.org and Actor Nat Wolff Join Forces to "Give a Spit" About Cancer - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

DoSomething.org and Actor Nat Wolff Join Forces to "Give a Spit" About Cancer

Information contained on this page is provided by an independent third-party content provider. WorldNow and this Station make no warranties or representations in connection therewith. If you have any questions or comments about this page please contact pressreleases@worldnow.com.

SOURCE DoSomething.org

Campaign Will Help Register Young People for the National Be The Match® Marrow Registry

NEW YORK, June 4, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- DoSomething.org, the largest organization for young people and social change, and Nat Wolff, star of "Palo Alto" and "The Fault in Our Stars," announce they are joining forces for "Give a Spit," a campaign that aims to get more young people to join the Be The Match Registry to help find matches for patients seeking a life-saving bone marrow match.

Leukemia is the most common type of cancer in children and adolescents younger than 20 years.[1] Patients with Leukemia and other types of blood cancers rely on life-saving bone marrow transplants, yet according to Be The Match®, only 30% of patients who need a bone marrow donation can find a match within their family and the other 70% rely on complete strangers. A transplant is most successful with donors 18-44, with donors age 18-24 in highest demand.

The campaign in partnership with Be The Match®, is now in its fourth year. Young people can sign up to receive a free swab kit at DoSomething.org/spit.

"I'm excited to partner with DoSomething.org to help encourage young people to swab their cheeks and sign up for the Be The Match registry. It's easy and free, and could potentially save someone's life," said Wolff.

"In the past three years, young people across the country have saved 20 lives through bone marrow donor matches from the Give a Spit campaign," said Naomi Hirabayashi, chief marketing officer at DoSomething.org. "We're thrilled to work with Nat to encourage more young people to join the registry and we hope that and we hope that his fans across the country sign up to swab their cheek to potentially save a life."

For more information, please visit dosomething.org/spit.

About DoSomething.org
DoSomething.org makes the world suck less. One of the largest orgs for young people and social change, our 2.5 million members tackle campaigns that impact every cause, from poverty to violence to the environment to literally everything else. Any cause, anytime, anywhere. *mic drop

[1] http://www.lls.org/#/diseaseinformation/getinformationsupport/factsstatistics/childhoodbloodcancers/

©2012 PR Newswire. All Rights Reserved.

  • PoliticsMore>>

  • Obama: 'Revving' economy calls for higher wages

    Obama: 'Revving' economy calls for higher wages

    Monday, September 1 2014 7:32 PM EDT2014-09-01 23:32:47 GMT
    President Barack Obama renewed his push for Congress to raise the minimum wage Monday in a buoyant accounting of the economy's "revving" performance, delivered on behalf of Democrats opening their fall campaigns for the midterm congressional elections. 
    President Barack Obama renewed his push for Congress to raise the minimum wage Monday in a buoyant accounting of the economy's "revving" performance, delivered on behalf of Democrats opening their fall campaigns for the midterm congressional elections. 
  • House, Senate intel chiefs flag Islamic State risk

    House, Senate intel chiefs flag Islamic State risk

    Sunday, August 31 2014 2:35 PM EDT2014-08-31 18:35:41 GMT
    Leaders of the House and Senate intelligence committees on Sunday prodded President Barack Obama to take decisive action against what they say are growing threats from Islamic State militants on U.S. soil. 
    Leaders of the House and Senate intelligence committees on Sunday prodded President Barack Obama to take decisive action against what they say are growing threats from Islamic State militants on U.S. soil. 
  • Obama tamps down prospect of strikes in Syria

    Obama tamps down prospect of strikes in Syria

    Thursday, August 28 2014 11:02 PM EDT2014-08-29 03:02:00 GMT
    President Barack Obama tamped down the prospect of imminent U.S. military action in Syria on Thursday, saying "we don't have a strategy yet" for degrading the violent militant group seeking to establish a caliphate in the Middle East. 
    President Barack Obama tamped down the prospect of imminent U.S. military action in Syria on Thursday, saying "we don't have a strategy yet" for degrading the violent militant group seeking to establish a caliphate in the Middle East. 
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.