Hearing for man behind 'revenge porn' website - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

Hearing for man behind 'revenge porn' website

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (CNS) - A woman testified Tuesday that she was scared and afraid after sexual photos of her taken by her ex-boyfriend ended up on a website owned by a San Diego man.

The woman testified during a preliminary hearing for Kevin Bollaert, who's accused of posting thousands of explicit photos of women on a so-called "revenge porn" website without their consent, then extorting money from some victims who wanted the images removed.

Jane Doe 5 testified that she began getting nasty and racial comments after sexual photos of her were posted on Bollaert's website, "ugotposted.com."

The woman said she had no idea that her ex-boyfriend had taken the photos when they went on a trip.

She said she e-mailed "ugotposted.com" to take the photos down, but got no response. The pictures eventually were removed from the website a week later.

In addition to the photos, the woman's name, location and phone number were posted on the website, prompting nasty calls and texts at all hours of the day, she said.

"It was just scary because all these people knew who I was," the woman testified.

Bollaert, 27, was charged last year with 31 felony counts, including conspiracy, identity theft and extortion.

In December 2012, Bollaert created "ugotposted.com," which allows people to create anonymous, public posts of private explicit photographs without their subjects' permission, according to court testimony.

Commonly known as revenge porn, such images, generally of nude young women, typically are obtained consensually by the poster during a prior relationship, or are stolen.

Unlike other such online sites, on which those depicted in the photos are anonymous, ugotposted.com required that a poster include the subject's full name, location, age and social-networking profile link, according to the state Attorney General's Office.

Under California law, it is illegal to willfully obtain someone's personal identifying information -- including name, age and address -- for any unlawful purpose, including with the intent to "annoy" or harass.

Between Dec. 2, 2012, and Sept. 17 of last year, Bollaert and unnamed co-conspirators posted 10,170 explicit photos without the subjects' consent, according to prosecutors.

Bollaert also allegedly created a second online site, "changemyreputation.com," which he used when people contacted ugotposted.com to request that content be removed from the site.

Bollaert allegedly extorted victims by replying with a changemyreputation.com email address and offering to remove the content for a fee ranging from $300 to $350.

Following the preliminary hearing, which resumes tomorrow, Judge David Gill will decide whether enough evidence was presented for Bollaert to stand trial.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Water conservation measures under consideration

    Water conservation measures under consideration

    Thursday, July 24 2014 10:35 AM EDT2014-07-24 14:35:03 GMT
    The San Diego County Water Authority Board of Directors is scheduled to consider Thursday afternoon a staff recommendation to make voluntary water use restrictions mandatory. 
    The San Diego County Water Authority Board of Directors is scheduled to consider Thursday afternoon a staff recommendation to make voluntary water use restrictions mandatory. 
  • Crews working to repair broken water main

    Crews working to repair broken water main

    Thursday, July 24 2014 10:03 AM EDT2014-07-24 14:03:31 GMT
    City public utilities crews were working Thursday to restore running water to some North Park homes and businesses after a 16-inch diameter water main broke, authorities said. 
    City public utilities crews were working Thursday to restore running water to some North Park homes and businesses after a 16-inch diameter water main broke, authorities said. 
  • Driver pulled from wreckage, airlifted to hospital

    Driver pulled from wreckage, airlifted to hospital

    Thursday, July 24 2014 9:18 AM EDT2014-07-24 13:18:22 GMT
    A vehicle crashed into a palm tree in Chula Vista Thursday, leaving the driver severely injured and prompting authorities to close an about mile and a half stretch of eastbound Olympic Parkway, police said. 
    A vehicle crashed into a palm tree in Chula Vista Thursday, leaving the driver severely injured and prompting authorities to close an about mile and a half stretch of eastbound Olympic Parkway, police said. 
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.