EL CAJON (CNS) - An ex-San Diego Gas & Electric employee, charged with hit-and-run in the death of a pedestrian run over by one of the utility's trucks, waived his right to a preliminary hearing Thursday and will proceed to trial.
Hector Hoyt, 56, faces up to four years in state prison if convicted.
"He agreed, he and his attorney, that there was enough evidence to bind this case over and agreed not to hold his hearing," Deputy District Attorney George Modlin, said.
Hoyt was arrested Jan. 22, posted $50,000 bail and was released the next day. He was employed by SDG&E at the time of the accident but no longer works there, according to the company.
Through interviews with several witnesses and reviews of surveillance video from businesses around the site of the accident, detectives identified
Hoyt was the driver who fled after the SDG&E-owned Ford 550 struck 54-year-old Robert Fisher in the 100 block of Jamacha Road in downtown El Cajon on the evening of Jan. 6, police said.
After being struck and knocked to the roadway while crossing the street mid-block, Fisher was hit by another vehicle, Lt. Randy Soulard said. The victim, a transient, died at the scene.
The second motorist stopped, called police and cooperated with investigators, according to Soulard. Detectives determined Fisher was hit by a white utility truck with a logo on it, and a crane with a lift bucket fitted into the cargo bed.
Fisher's mother says her family was left feeling shattered.
"I just jumped up and cried, I was waiting for him to maybe get married, maybe also have me a grandchild," Dianne Niemi, said.
They tracked the vehicle the next day to Hoyt's home in the 1100 block of Cloverleaf Drive in El Cajon home and impounded it. At the time of the crash, Hoyt was off duty, Soulard said.
An attorney is developing potential evidence including possible surveillance video to be used in a wrongful death claim against Hoyt and SDG&E. It's filed on behalf of Fisher's family. They believe Hoyt was drinking for several hours at his favorite hangout, an Outback Steakhouse.
Judge Daniel Goldstein scheduled a readiness conference for July 29 and set trial for Sept. 3.
The search is on for two suspects involved in an attempted kidnapping in Encinitas. Residents are being warned to be on the lookout for two men who tried kidnapping a 15-year-old girl as she waxed her surfboard earlier this week.
A notorious figure in the Boston Roman Catholic priest sex abuse scandal was released from prison Friday morning after completing a 12-year sentence for the rape of a boy in the 1980s.
The Beach Blaster ride at Belmont Park in San Diego and five similar attractions statewide were voluntarily shut down by operators today in the wake of a fatal accident at the Ohio State Fair, the California Department of Industrial Relations announced Thursday.
You remember him from classics like “Don’t Be A Menace To South Central While Drinking Your Juice In The Hood” and the “Scary Movie” franchise. These days he’s getting ready to launch his new show “Marlon” and parading around in the nude ahead of the debut of his latest film, “Naked.” Funny family man Marlon Wayans visited the News 8 Morning Extra studios on Friday to talk about his upcoming works, his San Die...
A trend of warm, dry weather will continue across the county Friday before humidity and possible thunderstorms return over the weekend.
Manuel Margot came within a triple of the cycle and fellow rookie Dusty Coleman hit his first major league home run, leading the San Diego Padres past the New York Mets 7-5 on Thursday night.
A crash happened during the morning commute Wednesday on the northbound I-805 just past SR-52. News 8's Marcella Lee reports near the scene with reaction from that witness and the CHP.
Two women who allegedly took part in a botched La Mesa mugging that left a man dead pleaded not guilty today to robbery and murder charges.