Man arrested after standoff in Encinitas - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Man arrested after standoff in Encinitas

Posted: Updated:

ENCINITAS (CNS/CBS 8) - A pellet gun was recovered and a man was taken into custody by sheriff's deputies who responded to an Encinitas home where gunshots had been reported.

Sheriff's Lt. Clayton Lisk said a call came in at 8:21 a.m. of gunshots being fired at a house in the 100 block of Requeza Street. The home was subsequently surrounded by deputies.

Lisk said residents were initially uncooperative and refused to surrender until about 10 a.m.

One of the residents -- Douglas McKay, 30 -- was arrested by police on suspicion of discharging a replica firearm, Lisk said. The other seven, who were not identified, were cited for delaying or resisting a police officer, he said.

“My kids were doing a garage sale this morning and all of a sudden the helicopter going over our house. Saying get in the house,” Encinitas resident Kristi Faramarzi said.

A quiet Sunday morning turns into chaos as an armed suspect with a high velocity pellet rifle refuses to cooperate.

“Two police officers running the street with guns and big shield,” Faramarzi said.

“This morning I woke up to pop pop pop saw him outside of his sliding glass window shooting into the sky to nothing, that's when I called the police,” a neighbor said.

Fearing retaliation, this neighbor who's had issues with McKay in the past, asked us not to show her face.

“We've gone to the city, filed formal complaints, nothing seems to have helped,” she said.

Sheriff's deputies say two people initially came out during the hour and a half standoff. Then, slowly but surely so did the others, except for McKay.

“That's when I told the sheriff, if you want a good vantage point there is our backyard,” Encinitas resident Anne Marie Finn said.

Anne Marie Finn says the suspect somehow snuck into her backyard while trying to get away.

“I saw him come down on the corner and I thought maybe he had something. I ran through the house, I had the kids, locked the door,” she said. “I'm just screaming, Tom’s out on the street, I'm screaming that he's on my property.”

Her husband Tom was at the right place at the right time.

“I just tracked him down and told him to lay down on the ground in a loud repetitious manner,” Tom Finn said.

Tom's assistance helped authorities take McKay into custody. No one was injured.

“No shirt, bare feet, just swim trunks on, I think he just wanted to go out the gate and do a little jog, walk up the street and who knows,” Ann Marie said.
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.