Showboat closes after 27 years in Atlantic City - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Showboat closes after 27 years in Atlantic City

Posted: Updated:
This photo taken on June 27, 2014, shows the exterior of the Showboat Casino Hotel in Atlantic City N.J. The Showboat's owner, Caesars Entertainment, said on Wednesday, Aug. 27, 2014, that the casino will definitely close on Sunday, Aug. 31. This photo taken on June 27, 2014, shows the exterior of the Showboat Casino Hotel in Atlantic City N.J. The Showboat's owner, Caesars Entertainment, said on Wednesday, Aug. 27, 2014, that the casino will definitely close on Sunday, Aug. 31.

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP) — The show is over for the Showboat Casino Hotel.

The Mardi Gras-themed casino shutting down Sunday after 27 years on the Atlantic City Boardwalk.

Its owner, Caesars Entertainment, closed the still-profitable Showboat to reduce the number of casinos in Atlantic City, which has been struggling with plunging revenue and increased competition.

"The Showboat has been in business in Atlantic City for 27 years, and all of us at Caesars are extremely proud of the 16 years that our company operated the property," Caesars Entertainment CEO Gary Loveman wrote in a letter to employees. "I want to thank the Showboat Atlantic City team for their dedication, professionalism, and commitment to our guests — both throughout the years and especially over the past several weeks.

"When considering the legacy of the Showboat, I have no doubt that it will be the pride and resilience of the property's team members that remain as indelible images in the hearts of our customers and colleagues for years to come," he wrote.

Caesars still owns three other casinos in Atlantic City.

More than 470 of the Showboat's 2,000-plus workers are transferring to other casinos the company owns in New Jersey or in other states.

Showboat is one of three Atlantic City casinos shutting down over the next two weeks. Revel will begin a two-day closing Monday, and Trump Plaza is closing Sept. 16.

The Showboat opened March 30, 1987, with the idea of taking the party atmosphere to a new level. It was designed as a New Orleans-style riverboat casino with a Mardi Gras theme. It even had a bowling alley for folks who needed a break from the slot machines and table games.

Kurt Williams, of Seaville, was a young boy when his family took him to the Showboat soon after it opened.

"There was a fun vibe to the Showboat, especially for a wide-eyed young kid like me at the time, and it was the only resort in town that had a bowling alley," he said. "It's really a shame all these resorts are going belly up, and I feel awful for the surrounding communities and the families it will affect."

Jeffrey Compton, publisher of CDC Gaming Reports, visited Atlantic City in the late 1980s and was struck by how much the casinos resembled one another.

"Breaking that rule was the Showboat," he said. "It was longer and more spread out than the other casinos, and it had a wonderful party atmosphere, with a Dixieland band."

Elizabeth Scarnati, of Cortland Manor, New York, is still excited about a $12,000 jackpot she won last year playing slots at the Showboat.

"I always loved this little casino, especially those suites in the Bourbon Tower," she said. "I was lucky enough to stay in the one on the top floor, oceanfront, with the wraparound balcony. I will miss the Mardi Gras casino a lot."

Atlantic City began the year with 12 casinos, but before summer is over it will be down to eight. Nearly 8,000 casino workers will have lost their jobs.

___

Wayne Parry can be reached at http://twitter.com/WayneParryAC

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Entertainment NewsEntertainment NewsMore>>

  • Baron Cohen pranks 2 more celebrity politicians for show

    Baron Cohen pranks 2 more celebrity politicians for show

    Friday, July 13 2018 10:18 AM EDT2018-07-13 14:18:47 GMT
    Sunday, July 15 2018 4:41 PM EDT2018-07-15 20:41:00 GMT
    Defeated U.S. Senate candidate Roy Moore says he's among a group of conservative political figures who were duped into appearing in actor Sacha Baron Cohen's upcoming television series. 
    Defeated U.S. Senate candidate Roy Moore says he's among a group of conservative political figures who were duped into appearing in actor Sacha Baron Cohen's upcoming television series. 
  • 'Downton Abbey' movie to shoot this summer

    'Downton Abbey' movie to shoot this summer

    Friday, July 13 2018 10:23 AM EDT2018-07-13 14:23:56 GMT
    Sunday, July 15 2018 4:40 PM EDT2018-07-15 20:40:56 GMT
    Three years after going off the air, "Downton Abbey" is coming back as a movie. 
    Three years after going off the air, "Downton Abbey" is coming back as a movie. 
  • Scarlett Johansson pulls out of trans drama after backlash

    Scarlett Johansson pulls out of trans drama after backlash

    Friday, July 13 2018 2:52 PM EDT2018-07-13 18:52:44 GMT
    Sunday, July 15 2018 4:40 PM EDT2018-07-15 20:40:52 GMT
    (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this April 23, 2018 file photo, Scarlett Johansson arrives at the world premiere of "Avengers: Infinity War" in Los Angeles. Johansson has pulled out of the film “Rub & Tug” after her plans to ...(Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this April 23, 2018 file photo, Scarlett Johansson arrives at the world premiere of "Avengers: Infinity War" in Los Angeles. Johansson has pulled out of the film “Rub & Tug” after her plans to ...
    Scarlett Johansson has pulled out of the film "Rub & Tug" after her plans to portray a transgender man prompted a backlash. 
    Scarlett Johansson has pulled out of the film "Rub & Tug" after her plans to portray a transgender man prompted a backlash. 
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.