Not guilty plea from man accused in Clairemont bank robbery - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Not guilty plea from man accused in Clairemont bank robbery

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (CNS) - A man accused of robbing a Clairemont-area bank on Saturday, then leading authorities on a chase through the Midway District, pleaded not guilty Wednesday to three counts of robbery.

Oscar Esteban Valle, 27, was ordered held on $1 million bail.

Deputy District Attorney Jim Koerber told Judge David Szumowski that police were on alert Saturday because banks in San Diego had been robbed the previous two Saturdays.

About 1:30 p.m., Valle allegedly robbed three tellers at the Wells Fargo bank on Balboa Avenue near Genesee, the prosecutor said.

Thanks to a tracking device put in a bag with the stolen money, police followed Valle's car for 10 minutes into the Midway District.

Koerber said a police helicopter caught Valle throwing clothing and money out of his vehicle, which he eventually crashed into a parked patrol car. Police said Valle abandoned his vehicle and ran barefoot between cars on the Interstate 8 offramp at Sports Arena Boulevard before being arrested.

The prosecutor said police are looking into Valle's possible involvement in other crimes.

Valle -- who went to prison in 2010 for an auto theft conviction -- will be back in court Monday for a bail review.

A readiness conference was set for Oct. 3 and a preliminary hearing for Oct. 7.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.