Police probe crashes that killed 10 in California - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Police probe crashes that killed 10 in California

Posted: Updated:

IRVINE, Calif. (AP) — Investigators looked for clues Sunday to the cause of two fiery vehicle crashes in Southern California that left 10 dead, including four recent graduates of the same high school, as family members and friends mourned the victims.

In Orange County, a 16-year-old unlicensed driver who was the lone survivor in a single-car accident that killed five dead remained hospitalized after surgery. Bradley Morales was listed in serious but stable condition with a large skull fracture and internal bleeding, CHOC Children's at Mission Hospital said.

California Highway Patrol Officer Florentine Olivares said investigators will inspect the 1995 BMW the teen was driving for signs of mechanical failure that might have contributed to the crash early Saturday morning in Orange County.

Skid marks on the freeway and the distance the car traveled after hitting a guardrail on Interstate 5 in Irvine suggest speed possibly played a role, the officer said.

No charges have been filed. There was no record of the driver having a license, Olivera said.

The victims, who were returning from an amusement park, included two 14-year-old boys and a 15-year-old boy, all from Orange County, who played for the same soccer team, the Los Angeles Times reported. Two girls who died, whose ages were not released, played on a school water polo team.

Both girls and one of the boys killed were not wearing a seat belt, the CHP said.

After the boys failed to show up for an 8 a.m. game for the elite players of the Mission Viejo Soccer Club, coach Billy McNicol said he got a call from a family member that all three had been killed.

"We are devastated. Just devastated," he told the newspaper.

The car flew off the freeway, crashed and caught fire. The white sedan was flattened on top and covered with burn marks as it was towed from the scene.

Five people were killed about five hours earlier on Friday night, when three vehicles collided and burst into flames on an isolated two-lane road on the edge of Chino, a city east of Los Angeles in San Bernardino County.

The lone survivor of the three-vehicle crash — the driver of a Honda Civic — was released from the hospital, police spokeswoman Monica Gutierrez said. The dead included four in a Chevy truck and one in a Honda Accord.

The victims in the truck included 19-year-old Andrew Anthony Deleon, 18-year-old Nathan Dominguez and two other friends, all recent graduates from the same high school, Dominguez's uncle Anthony Vasquez and coroner's officials said.

Vasquez told the Riverside Press-Enterprise that Dominguez, who lives with him, had been scheduled to start a new job at a grocery store Saturday, and he had grown concerned when he didn't return home before getting the news in the morning.

Vasquez said his nephew was an outgoing and big-hearted teen who "always thought about others before himself."

The victim from the Accord was Luis Ayala Mendoza, 47, of Corona, the coroner said in a statement.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.