Barrio Logan garage fire sparked by candles - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Barrio Logan garage fire sparked by candles

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (CBS 8) - A garage fire in Barrio Logan sparked by unattended candles caused $100,000 in damage early Wednesday, authorities said.

The fire broke out in a detached garage of a house at 28th Street and National Avenue around 1:00 a.m., but was knocked down in about 20 minutes.

One person was living in the garage, and he told authorities he went to bed and left a candle lit and believes that's what sparked the fire.

Fire officials had this warning:

"I know it's getting cold and a lot people light candles for lighting or even heating. So, it's something we need to take heed and be careful when lighting candles,” said Captain Joseph Amadour with the City of San Diego Fire Department.

No injuries were reported. Damage was estimated at $50,000 to the structure and $50,000 to the contents, SDFRD Capt. Joe Amador said, adding that the blaze was confined to the detached garage.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.