SAN DIEGO (CNS) - The San Diego Housing Commission announced on Wednesday a three-year plan to get 1,500 homeless people off the streets through a combination of property renovations and providing homes that include access to social services.
Provisions of the "Housing First-San Diego" plan include:
-- renovating an abandoned hotel structure to provide 72 affordable units for homeless veterans and youth who have aged out of the foster care system;
-- combining up to $30 million of federal and state grants, and local funds, to create housing in combination with supportive services;
-- providing as many as 1,500 federal rental assistance vouchers to homeless individuals and families;
-- investing $15 million to acquire a property where 20 percent of its more than 100 units will be set aside for permanent supportive housing for homeless San Diegans; and
-- dedicating 25 commissioned-own units for temporary use by homeless individuals and families.
"The goal is to help our homeless San Diegans get back on their feet and move on to renting an apartment of their own," said Richard Gentry, the commission's president and CEO.
Work began this summer on the site of the former Hotel Churchill, which had been abandoned for a decade on the corner of Ninth and C streets in downtown San Diego. City officials expect the $17 million project to be completed in February 2016.
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs will provide on-site social services and case management to former armed forces members, according to the
Housing Commission. Mayor Kevin Faulconer said the hotel project is a "great example of what we can achieve when we all work together and look at new ways to solve a problem."
City Council President Todd Gloria said San Diego is realigning its homeless programs to a "housing first" model, which gets people off the streets and into a residential environment where issues such as mental health, substance abuse or other problems can be addressed.
A car believed to have been used in the abduction of a 9-year-old boy in Santa Maria, prompting an Amber Alert in Los Angeles, Ventura and Santa Barbara counties, was found abandoned Tuesday, but the child and the suspect remained missing and were believed to be traveling in another vehicle.
An Eastlake family is bringing awareness to heart screening during the third annual Cristian's Big Heart 5K.
Many watchers of Monday's solar eclipse may have glanced at the sun without proper eye protection, if only for a brief moment. This can be dangerous, as looking directly at the sun can cause eye damage.
Substance abuse prevention advocates in San Diego plan to speak out Tuesday against legislation that would allow cities around the state extend the bar-closing time to 4 a.m., from the current 2 a.m.
A wildfire that scorched about 200 acres of brush in the southeastern reaches of San Diego County and threatened about 20 back-country homes was 40 percent contained Tuesday morning, fire officials said.
Authorities Monday released an artist's rendering of a man being sought for following and pestering teenage girls in East County neighborhoods early this summer.
Temperatures across San Diego County are expected to be about average Tuesday for mid-August with cooling expected for midweek before hot weather returns for the weekend.
At least three brush rigs, four fire engines and two helicopters were dispatched early Tuesday morning to battle a blaze that scorched about two dozen palm trees in Mission Valley, authorities said.
The future of a Confederate monument in a municipally operated cemetery in San Diego was unclear Monday amid an online petition calling for its removal.
A former Uber driver pleaded guilty Monday to raping a female passenger and sexually assaulting as many as 14 other victims, including many who were unconscious from drugs or alcohol when the attacks occurred.