Amber Alert suspect arrested at the border - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Amber Alert suspect arrested at the border

Posted: Updated:

OTAY MESA (CNS) - A man suspected of stabbing his ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend in the Los Angeles suburb of San Pedro then fleeing with his year-old son to Mexico, sparking a statewide Amber Alert, was in custody Wednesday following his arrest while trying re-enter the United States at the Otay Mesa border crossing.

Giovanny Santiago-Enriquez, 37, was captured about 10:15 a.m. Tuesday, according to U.S. Customs and Border Protection. The suspect presented a driver's license and Social Security card to immigration authorities, who discovered there was a warrant for his arrest on suspicion of attempted murder, according to CBP.

The year-old boy, Jayden Nathaniel Santiago, was recovered safely last week in Tijuana, the same day he was taken by his father.

According to police, Santiago-Enriquez entered his former girlfriend's home in the 500 block of West 15th Street through an unlocked front door, went into her bedroom and stabbed her new boyfriend several times around 1:30 a.m. March 9. The victim was seriously wounded.

The former girlfriend suffered minor injuries trying to prevent Santiago-Enriquez from stabbing her boyfriend. He then fled, throwing the knife he had used on the boyfriend out of his car, police said.

Santiago-Enriquez next went to his home in Long Beach before fleeing with his son, according to police. Santiago-Enriquez had primary custody of the child, police said.

According to CBP, Santiago-Enriquez is a Mexican citizen and lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.