Man accused of "thrill killing" pleads guilty - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Man accused of "thrill killing" pleads guilty

Posted: Updated:
Jordan Hickey is seen on the left in this video image. Jordan Hickey is seen on the left in this video image.

SAN DIEGO (CNS) - The gunman in the "thrill" killing of a 21-year-old developmentally disabled man gunned down nearly four years ago pleaded guilty Thursday to first-degree murder and lying in wait.

Humberto Galvez, 22, will be sentenced on April 24 to life in prison without the possibility of parole for the April 29, 2011, slaying of Jordan Hickey. Galvez originally faced the death penalty.

"It was a brutal, heinous, callous killing. We think there's no excuse," Deputy District Attorney David Grapilon said outside court. "It's one of those cases that really chill you to the bone, knowing that people are out there that can do mean (and) evil things like this."

Sheriff's deputies responding to a report of gunfire found Hickey mortally wounded near his bicycle on a sidewalk alongside Grove Street in Lincoln Acres, a few blocks from his home in National City. He died at the scene.

Authorities said Galvez and co-defendant Juan Ignacio Gomez were "driving around, essentially looking for someone to shoot," and just happened to pull up alongside Hickey, who was on his way home when he was shot three times.

The defendants were arrested at a home in Chula Vista about a year later.

Gomez, 24, was convicted last week of first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder. He also faces life in prison without the possibility of parole, and is scheduled to be sentenced the same day as Galvez.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.