Wounded SDPD officer goes home from hospital - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Wounded SDPD officer goes home from hospital

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (CBS 8) - A San Diego police officer who was shot in the neck over the weekend has been released from the hospital.

San Diego police officer Heather Seddon discreetly left Sharp Memorial Tuesday after having spent three days in the hospital being treated for a gunshot wound to the neck. The incident happened during a shootout with 34-year-old Dennis Fiel.

CBS News 8 was told Officer Seddon left the hospital in the afternoon and was asking for privacy as she continues to recover at home.

"We're very happy to say Officer Seddon has been released from the hospital and has gone home,” Chief Shelley Zimmerman with the San Diego Police Department.

Seddon, a five year veteran on the force, was said to be overwhelmed by the outpouring of support. During her hospital stay, fellow officers visited Seddon around the clock.

Department spokesperson Lieutenant Scott Wahl said it speaks to the type of bond shared within the law enforcement community.

"And I think it manifests itself when time like these happen and you see officers from all over coming in to express their support and their positive thoughts and prayers,” continued Wahl.

Seddon was shot the morning Sunday, May 17 during a foot pursuit.

Two other officers fired back at the suspect who allegedly shot Seddon. The suspect, 34-year-old Dennis Richard Fiel, was pronounced dead at the scene. The incident started when officers tried to pull him over for speeding.

They later determined he was a person of interest in a series of building shootings in the Kearney Mesa area. And, he had been arrested before.

Fiel was in court in 2008 after he was taken into custody for macing employees at a Gamestop store in Mira Mesa and stealing copies of the video game Grand Theft Auto.

Court documents reveal that in a separate incident he was arrested for vandalism and resisting arrest.

A psychologist who evaluated him in 2008 said he suffered from depression and Asperger's syndrome, was suicidal, and his only friend was his mother.

The doctor also noted he was terrified of going to jail and that, "the community can have confidence that this young man will not misbehave in the future."

Detectives are trying to determine if Fiel died from one of their bullets or if it was suicide. They're also conducting additional forensic work to confirm whether or not he was the person responsible for the building shootings.

Seddon is a training officer with the department. There is no word yet on when she'll be able to return to work.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 KFMB-TV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.