City to settle with two women groped by former cop - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

City to settle with two women groped by former cop

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (CNS) - The City Council is scheduled Tuesday to approve nearly $1 million in legal settlements to two women abused by a former police officer, who later pleaded guilty to criminal charges and spent five months behind bars.

One woman is set to receive $550,000. She alleged that she suffered personal injuries in an encounter with ex-SDPD Officer Christopher Hays on Oct. 31, 2013. The other woman settled for $400,000. She claimed emotional injuries from her interactions with Hays on June 12 that year.

The settlements were given a go-ahead by the City Council in closed session last month.

Hays pleaded guilty last August to false imprisonment and misdemeanor counts of assault and battery under the color of authority by a peace officer, and was sentenced to one year in jail -- but was released early.

Three women testified earlier last year that they were groped while being searched by the four-year SDPD veteran, who resigned the day after he was charged. One woman told the judge that she has trouble sleeping in her own bed after Hays followed her to her apartment and had her expose her breasts and told her to touch his groin.

A fourth woman also said Hays groped her after her arrest for shoplifting.

Deputy District Attorney Annette Irving said Hays was banking on the notion that his victims would never tell what he did to them. At his sentencing, Hays apologized to the victims and his family for any pain he caused, saying, "It's not something I'm very proud of."

In April, the City Council approved settlements with two other women who sued as a result of encounter with Hays. One was for $1.25 million and the other for $60,000. The actions by Hays and a couple of other officers led to a federal investigation of the San Diego Police Department.

Of 40 recommendations made to strengthen policies designed to prevent officer misconduct, 19 have been implemented and the rest are in the process of being implemented, according to an SDPD report.

The council is also scheduled to consider separate payments totaling nearly $1.2 million, of which about two-thirds would go to Chad Farmer and Jami Glassman, whose home was damaged by a pair of water main breaks in October and November 2013, and the remainder to Chartis Property Casualty Company, which insured the couple.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.