SAN DIEGO (CBS 8) - Either break up with us or stay? That’s the feeling among many Chargers fans, as the first preseason game hits the record books.
The first preseason game at Qualcomm Stadium pits the Chargers against the Cowboys, but some chargers fans said it feels like the much bigger matchup is what's happening off the field. Here’s what some people told CBS News 8:
“They don't want to cheer for us. They don't want to be here that's how it feels almost.”
“Yes, it is very bittersweet. Chargers have an opportunity to stay. Do they want to stay?”
[RELATED: Concept Art: A look at the proposed Chargers stadium throughout the process]
David Kirsten has been a Chargers season ticket holder for 15 years, and he said there's plenty of blame to go around:
“When this was proposed 10 years ago, how come the city didn't jump on it then.”
[RELATED: NFL owners hear presentations for Los Angeles stadiums]
Earlier this week, city leaders unveiled their financing plans for a new $1.1 billion stadium at the Qualcomm site. Tuesday, the NFL team owners met in Chicago, when plans for a Carson stadium were presented.
Though the mayor has publicly made it clear he's optimistic, fans Thursday weren’t so sure. Some said they’re just trying to focus on this season and at least enjoy the time they have as a San Diego Chargers fan while it still lasts.
[RELATED: City & county representatives brief NFL on stadium]