Firefighters recover pet reptiles from house fire - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Firefighters recover pet reptiles from house fire

Posted: Updated:

SAN DIEGO (CNS) - A fire of unknown origin tore through a home near Alvarado Hospital Tuesday morning, causing extensive damage and leaving six people in need of emergency shelter.
   
The non-injury blaze erupted shortly before 11 a.m. in the 6800 block of Julie Street, near 69th Street in the College area, according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.
   
A resident who had just gotten out of the shower smelled something burning, checked his garage and found it filled with flames and smoke, SDFRD Capt. Joe Amador said. The man hurried outside and called 911.
   
It took engine crews about a half-hour to subdue the fire, which sent a column of thick smoke into the air just east of San Diego State University.
   
Firefighters summoned animal-control personnel to handle a pet rattlesnake that was among a collection of reptiles being kept in aquariums at the home. None of the creatures appeared to have suffered any ill effects from the blaze, Amador said.
   
The American Red Cross was called in to help the displaced residents 
arrange for temporary housing.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates. 

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.