4-year-old airlifted after rattlesnake bite - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

4-year-old airlifted after rattlesnake bite

Posted: Updated:

RAMONA (CBS 8/ CNS) - A rattlesnake struck a 4-year-old boy outside an East County home Thursday morning, sending him to a hospital.

"The four year old cousin, Reese, came in and said Pax had gotten bitten by a snake. I saw the snake pretty quick and I could tell, that's not a gopher snake. That's not good," said Robin Clark, the boy's mother. 

Clark ran inside her home and called 911, saying her son was bitten by a rattle snake. 

She said her son was crying and even once they were in Life Flight, she was not sure just how serious it was. 


   

"He was barely coherent, like he could not hardly open his eyes," she said. 

Once Pax was at Rady Children's, he was given appropriate supportive care and anti-venom. "Sounds like his vital signs are stabilizing and he is doing much better," said Dr. Chuck O'Connel.

Brad Hollingsworth, who is the curator of herpetology at The Natural History Museum, said with the heat, San Diego will see a lot more snakes. 

"So here it is, in Fall later in the year, and we're having this hot weather. What I understand is this was a baby rattlesnake, and this makes sense to us because babies are born in late summer early fall," he said. 

Brad said every time someone is bitten, rattlesnakes get a bad name,  but make no mistake, they are needed for the environment. 

"These animals are part of our natural community, and if you have a rattlesnake problem and you want to get rid of it, you'll end up having a rodent problem," said Hollingsworth.  

Robin said she has taught her kids not to go near snakes. 

"I guess four-year-old curiosity go the better of him today. I don't think he will never tough a snake again," she said. 

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Midwest Television, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.